One thing that a weather change brings about is lung infections - most commonly cough and cold. Most people dread the change of seasons from one temperature to another because of the fear of how their body will react to the weather change.
Be it extremely hot or cold weather, most people end up with a cough and cold. The more affected age groups again are the children and the elderly. However, all it takes to prevent this is to plan a little so that the body can get used to the change and not react with a cough or cold.
Preventions Tips for Cough & Cold Due to Weather Change
There are few things that can be done that can help avoid catching a cold. Follow these prevention tips, that can be helpful in avoiding Cough & Cold Problem due to whether change:
- Avoid sudden exposure to cold, from a heated room to the cold outdoors, especially in the evening and morning. Those who are used to a morning and evening walk may have to change the routine.
- Avoid cold food items such as cool drinks, milkshakes, and ice-creams.
- Having a warm bath, early morning and late evening are advisable.
- Avoid foods such as sour stuff, pickles, and fried foods.
- Eat small, frequent meals that are prepared fresh are nutritious and of moderate temperature.
- If there are infected people in your neighborhood, avoid being in close contact with them as you might get infected as well.
- Wash your hands enough to keep them free of germs
- As much as cold weather does not make you thirsty, push enough fluids so that your body stays hydrated. If water is not appealing enough, drink warm water or tea or lime.
- Ensure the house, especially the kitchen and bathroom are clean and disinfected.
- Avoid exposure to dust and pollen as they carry a lot of germs when whether change.
- Avoid staying in a poorly ventilated room, enough circulation ensures germs are not concentrated in one room
- Timely vaccination against flu
Treatment of Cough & Cold Due to Weather Change
Despite these measures, once the cough and cold have set in, the following are some easy remedies you can use in whether change condition, these tips are helpful to your health:
- Steam inhalation, preferably with eucalyptus oil added to it.
- Having warm soup with ginger and garlic added to it to soothe the throat
- Ginger and other spices like cardamom and cinnamon can also be added to tea.
- Lemon and honey can be added to a glass of warm water. This will soothe the throat and help fight cold.
- Chewing Tulsi leaves can be beneficial during whether changes as improves immunity.
- Yoga exercises such as Pranayama and Jalneti can be done to cleanse the nasal cavity, prevent sinus congestion, and clear mucus
Update From Lybrate: Strengthen your immunity by shopping Immunity Booster Products from Lybrate’s GoodKart. These products also fight against various health ailments and infections.
In case you have a concern or query, you can always consult the best general physicians online & get answers to your question via online doctor consultation.