Hypertension or high blood pressure is very common disease. One is labeled as having hypertension when the patient's BP is more than 140/90.
Hypertension is of generally 2 types.
- Essential hypertension: No particular reason is found. This is the most common type And usually due to life style habits.
- Secondary hypertension: Here the BP goes up because of some other disease And once the main disease is treated the bp also becomes better.
Some causes of secondary hypertension are
- Kidney diseases
- Hormonal problems like thyroid disease, cushing's syndrome
- Certain medications
- Some rare tumors like adrenal tumors, pheochromocytoma etc.
- Alcohol abuse
- Drug addictions
Uncontrolled hypertension for long period can cause life threatening diseases like
- Heart attack.
- Paralysis due to brain stroke
- Kidney failure
Treatment consists of two parts.
- Lifestyle changes
Lifestyle changes include
- Low salt diet
- Eating fresh fruits and salads as at least one third of you diet as these are rich in potassium which helps to maintain low blood pressure.
- Exercise daily, such as walking for at least 45 minutes everyday.
- That would depend whether you have essential or secondary hypertension.
- In essential hypertension, No one medicine is for all. Your doctor will individualize the medicines as per your blood pressure, your blood report results and any Co existing disease like diabetes or kidney problem etc.
Goal of treatment
- Is to keep your blood pressure below 130/80 at all times And to prevent complications.
- Remember hypertension is deadly. However it can be easily managed. Lifestyle changes And medications complement each other. They do not substitute each other.
- With proper individualization of lifestyle changes And medications you can enjoy a normal and healthy life. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a general physician.