What is the remedy about?
Gastric problem is a common problem that many people experience in their daily life. It could be due to indigestion, acidity, excessive consumption of spicy foods or alcohol and stress. There are some easy and simple home remedies that can help you deal with your gastric problems:
- Lemon juice, taken with baking soda can relieve you of your gastric problems easily. Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice in water and add a small amount of baking soda in it. Stir till it has been diluted properly and drink the mixture.
- Garlic has some heating qualities that help in stimulating the gastric juices in your stomach to ease the bloating and gas, relieving you from gastric problems. You can have garlic in the form of soup or boil some garlic cloves with black pepper and cumin seeds. Drink the mixture two to three times on a daily basis.
- Fennel seeds can be an instant remedy for bloating or flatulence. You can directly take some fennel seeds and chew them to get relief from your gastric pain. Another option is to put some fennel seeds in boiled water and drink it after a few minutes.
- Coconut water is said to soothe your digestive system and will give you relief from gastric problems. Drinking coconut water on a daily basis will provide protein to your body and improve your condition.
- Cloves have medicinal properties that can effectively reduce your gastric problems. It increases the gastrointestinal secretion and cures you of indigestion and other gastric problems. Consume 1 or 2 pieces of clove directly and you will see the positive results.
- Cardamom, the kitchen spice can help to speed up your digestion, thus providing you relief from acidity and other gastric problems. You can add cardamom powder to your food when you are cooking or simply chew one twice or thrice in a day.
- Basil leaves have some carminative and soothing properties that provide instant relief from gas, acidity as well as nausea. Take some fresh basil leaves and chew them properly if you are facing acidity problems. You can also boil it in water and have it by adding honey, if you want to.
Are there any side effects?
The possible side effects of these home remedies could be:
- Consuming excessive amount of lemon water can erode the enamel of your tooth due to its acidic content. Apart from that, it can also make your teeth sensitive and you may feel discomfort when consuming hot or cold foods. Too much of lemon water can also trigger a heartburn.
- Garlic, when consumed in large amounts can lead to a burning sensation in your mouth and throat, cause nausea, diarrhea or vomiting.
- In case you are allergic to fennel, consuming it can cause an allergic reaction that may include swelling of the lips, rashes, hives or difficulty in breathing.
- Coconut water may lower your blood pressure.
- Over-consumption of cloves may trigger allergic reactions, causing rashes and hives. It also contains a blood-thinning agent that can increase your risk of bleeding.
- Cardamom can trigger spasmodic pain in people who have gallstones. Excessive consumption can also make you feel nauseated.
- Although rare, but some people are allergic to basil leaves. In that case, having them can cause itchy eyes, vomiting, runny nose, hives or welts on your face.
What are the post-remedy guidelines?
The post remedy guidelines include:
- Avoid spicy, acidic, fatty foods that can cause gastric problems. Reduce the consumption of soda and other carbonated drinks.
- Avoid consuming alcohol, or drink in moderation.
- Maintain a proper meal time and do not skip meals. Also, do not rush while you are eating. Chew your food properly and drink slowly.
- Quit smoking.
- Do not over stress yourself. Opt for relaxation activities that can relieve you from stress.
- Make sure you drink plenty of water.
How long does it take to recover?
Once you make changes in your lifestyle and start practising these home remedies, you will slowly get rid of your gastric problems. It may take around a week to observe improvements in your condition. If there is no improvement, you need to consult a doctor as the symptoms could be a result of some other medical condition like Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Crohn’s disease or some other problem.
Are the results of the remedy permanent?
With proper treatment and a healthy lifestyle, you can be cured of your gastric problems permanently. However, you must remember that going back to an unhealthy diet and lifestyle can bring back your problems.
Is there any training or experts required?
You do not require any special training for practising these home remedies. To avoid any confusion, you may consult your doctor once before having anything on a regular basis if you have a medical condition.