When we think of a light evening snack, we often think of a packet of fried chips or Kurkure. However, it is time to think of something healthier, as we are already aware of the ill effects of these snacks all around us. This is where snacks like fox nuts are gaining popularity. Grown in the wetlands of Asian countries, they are also known as Phool makhana (because of their flowery appearance) and lotus seeds.
Fox Nuts (Makhana) is a great snack and has multiple benefits. Read on to know about this wonderful, economical, tasty, and healthy dish.
Health Benefits of Fox Nuts Makhana: 12 Amazing Benefits
- Fox Nuts (Makhana) are low in calories, fat, and sodium. They are therefore the perfect in-between-meal snack. They also make you feel full, so further cravings for binge eating are reduced
- Their low sodium and high potassium and magnesium content makes them very useful for people with high blood pressure
- Fox Nuts (Makhana) has high calcium content is good for bone and teeth health
- Their sugar content is low, and so are highly useful for diabetics, who have the urge to eat at short intervals
- The fox nuts have astringent properties and are useful for kidney ailments
- Dietitians recommend people looking for weight loss should try makhana, as they are very low in calories but can fill the stomach. This helps control hunger pangs and intake of high-calorie foods
- Fox Nuts (Makhana) is rich in fiber and so can be used in weight loss as well as for digestion problems like constipation
- Fox nuts are rich in antioxidants and therefore useful in fighting aging and chronic inflammation and stress in the body
- In both men and women, makhana is believed to improve fertility rates. The sperm quality and quantity is believed to improve when makhana is consumed
- Given its multiple benefits, especially calcium and iron, pregnant women are given makhana. It also helps prevent hypertension and diabetes in the pregnant mother
- Fox nuts are believed to help get rid of insomnia
- If addiction to coffee is your problem, try some fox nuts to get rid of the addiction
How to use Fox Nuts (Makhana) in Different Recipes
- Fox Nuts (Makhana)seeds are actually tasteless and so whether it is salt or sweet, they take on the added taste
- Roast the seeds with a little ghee on a light flame. Sprinkle salt, and the yummy snack is good to go
- Other spices like cinnamon or oregano can be added to suit one’s taste
- Fox Nuts (Makhana) also be used in sweet dishes like kheer and other desserts
If you are looking for a super snack that is highly healthy, economical and has little hazards on your health, grabs a bowl of fox nuts. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.
Also Read About: What is Fast and Up Multivitamin Tablet?
Update From Lybrate: Keep a check on your overall well-being by consuming healthy and delicious products. These Food and Drink products not only soothe your taste buds but also keep you hydrated.