Ask FREE question to Women health doctors
Private, Secure and verified doctors.

Hi,i (age =27 year), I am 6 months pregnant. I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes (Reading of GTT =195 mg/dl after two hours) in the mid of five months. I consulted with Diabeteologist and the doctor had advised me to take insulin 5 units everyday in empty stomach before breakfast. Its been around 20 days, I have started taking insulin. Now the blood sugar level is within 100-120 mg/dl but sometimes it coming below 100. I am getting itching in my legs, I guess since the day I have started taking insulin. I am very much concerned about the baby and the change in my blood sugar level. Sometimes I feel dizziness, palpitation. The doctor has advised me to continue taking insulin with minimum dosage of 4 units everyday till delivery. I want to ask you is it necessary so and the changing blood sugar won't it affect the baby? Kindly could you help me with your suggestion. Shall I consult with diabeteologist once more.

Dear lybrate-user, gdm is generally diagnosed after 7 months but if you've been diagnosed before 5 months then it means you'd diabetes for longer time. Anyway, insulin is the only drug used in gdm. Please don't worry. You're on right path. Buy a glucose ter and keep your sugar between 80 to 120 mg %. Regards.