I am nearing 50 years. Have been alcoholic in the night almost every night. Once start drinking unable to stop. In the heat of Mumbai, I have prickly heat along with red spots in my hands. How can I gradually pull out of alcohol if not abruptly.

Decide a time frame. Let's say, 60 days. Cut down to half every 10 days. Don't move to the next step unless you have mastered the first. Stay mentally prepared for some side effects like sleep disturbance, tremors or decreased appetite and nausea. Let me know if you need medical assistance.
Alcohol dependence involves intense craving or desire to drink alcohol. People drink for pleasure or rationalize it on external factors like family problems, work tension, etc. They drink continuously, i.e. Almost daily or even weekly once or twice with withdrawal symptoms, tolerance, bodily damage, etc. Due to alcohol they and/ or others are affected significantly. You need to consult a psychiatrist and go for 3 steps of de addiction. 1st is detoxification, when alcohol is stopped and the withdrawal is made smooth with minimal discomfort, 2 nd is maintenance and further deaddiction when the physical problems and psychological state of the individual is maintained and anti-craving drugs started 3 rd rehabilitation, when relapse prevention is the goal, while maintaining deaddiction. All the best.