I have started walking and jogging recently (3 months now), I have pain in my right knee. Its not severe though. Can you suggest if I need to wear a knee strap or something during jogging as a preventive step? There are many products online but wanted to confirm what would be a good preventive step.
1. Temporarily stopping jogging is ok, long run I plan to jog regularly
2. I jog only and don't run
3. I jog outside in roads and not in treadmill with good jogging shows
4. I don't have any history of knee problems.
5. I am not looking for any medicine until its absolutely necessary.
Please suggest what measures can be taken to prevent knee pain.
MBBS, M. S. Orthopaedics, Fellowship in Arthroscopy and sports medicine, DNB (Orthopaedics)
10 years experience
Ask Free Question
To be precise to your question. Pain in your knee may be due to weak Quadriceps muscles which causes weakening of cartilage of your knee cap a/k/a chondromalacia. Please don't wear any Knee cap as it will weaken your Quadriceps more. 1. Yes you can jog and take pauses in between this will help muscles to relax
2. Jogging is fine 3. In Indian roads there are a lot of bumps which might impact your knee ankle. Not a plain ground to run. 4. Don't worry this will be fine once you do Quadriceps strengthening exercises 5. No medication until you hv severe pain
6. Try doing cycling and swimming as this will strengthen your Quadriceps muscles more.
You found this helpful
Was this answer helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.
Book appointment with top doctors for Knee Pain treatment