Ceftriaxone 1000 MG Injection
Ceftriaxone 1000 MG Injection is used for treating bacterial infections. It is administered to the patient in the form of an injection. It is used for the treatment of lower respiratory tract infections, skin and skin structure infections, bone and joint infections, intra-abdominal and urinary tract infections, sepsis and meningitis due to susceptible organisms
This medicine is also documented or suspected infection due to susceptible organisms in-home care patients and patients without I.V. line access; treatment of documented or suspected gonococcal infection or chancroid; emergency room management of patients at high risk for bacteremia, periorbital or buccal cellulitis, salmonellosis or shigellosis, and pneumonia of unestablished aetiology (<5 years of age).
Ceftriaxone 1000 MG Injection is also used for the treatment of Lyme disease, depends on the stage of the disease (used in Stage II and Stage III, but not stage I; doxycycline is the drug of choice for Stage I). This medicine belongs to a class of medications known as cephalosporin antibiotics. It works by killing the bacteria. It should always be taken under a doctor’s guidance.
This medicine should always be taken under a doctor’s guidance. It comes in the form of powder which is mixed with liquid and then injected intravenously (into a vein) over a period of 30 to 60 minutes. However, sometimes it is also injected into a muscle. It is usually injected as a single dose. Sometimes it is injected multiple times with a gap of 4 to 14 days between doses.
This medication should always be taken under the supervision of a medical expert. There are also some other precautions you need to take. Firstly check if you have any allergies to any of the ingredients of it. Also, inform the consulting doctor about any prescribed drugs or dietary supplements that you are currently taking to avoid side effects.
Inform your doctor about any history of liver disease, kidney disease or digestive problems. Also if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant, it is advisable not to take this medication as it might have harmful effects on your baby.
How long is the duration of effect?The effect of this medication lasts for 24 hours after the initial action has begun.
What is the onset of action?The peak effect of this medication occurs rapidly after being administered in the body.
Are there any pregnancy warnings?This medication is not recommended for use by women who are pregnant or are planning a pregnancy in near future.
Is it habit forming?No habit forming tendencies were reported.
Are there any breast-feeding warnings?This medication is not recommended for use in women who are breastfeeding. The risk of adverse effect is very high in infants and hence the potential benefits and risks should be considered before using this medication.
Is It safe with alcohol?Consumption of alcohol is found to be safe if taken with this medicine.
Is it safe to drive while on this medicine?This medicine might affect the consciousness of the patient. Thus driving must be avoided while taking this medicine.
Does this affect kidney function?This medicine is found to be safe in patients with kidney disease. Adjustment of dose must not be needed. Kindly consult your doctor before taking it.
Does this affect liver function?Caution must be taken in patients with severe liver disease. Adjustment of dose might be needed. Kindly consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength and form as Ceftriaxone 1000 MG Injection , and hence can be used as its substitute.
Are there any missed dose instructions?Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for the next scheduled dose then the missed dose can be skipped. Do not take two doses within a day to make up for the previous day's missed dose.
Are there any overdose instructions?Contact your doctor immediately if an overdose is suspected. Appropriate supportive measures should be initiated immediately if the symptoms are severe.
Ceftriaxone 1000 MG Injection belongs to the third generation of cephalosporins. It works by inhibiting the bacterial cell wall synthesis by binding to penicillin binding proteins which would stop the growth and multiplication of bacteria.
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you"re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Alcohol
Interaction with Lab Test
Interaction with Medicine
- Gemfibrozil: Report the use of either of the medicine to the doctor. You may require an adjustment in the dose of this medication while taking these medicines together. It is advised to keep a regular check on the blood glucose levels while taking these medicines.
- Rifampicin: Report the use of either of the medicine to the doctor. You may require clinical monitoring and a dose adjustment if these medications are used together. Special caution is advised if the use of Rifampicin is initiated or ended while you are taking it.
- Gatifloxacin: Report the use of Gatifloxacin to the doctor before Pioglitazone or any other anti-diabetic medicine is prescribed. These medicines can cause some very severe side effects when used together.
- Insulin injection: Report the use of either of the medicine to the doctor. You may a require a dose adjustment and regular monitoring of blood sugar levels if these medicines are prescribed together. Symptoms of low blood sugar levels like headache, drowsiness, weakness etc should be reported to the doctor.
- Ketoconazole: Report the use of either of the medicine to the doctor. You may require an adjusted dose of this medication if these medicines are used together. Symptoms of low blood sugar levels like headache, drowsiness, weakness etc should be reported to the doctor.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera should be used with caution while taking this medication or any other anti-diabetic medication. You may require a dose adjustment and regular monitoring of blood sugar levels while taking these medicines together. Symptoms of low blood sugar levels like headache, drowsiness, weakness etc should be reported to the doctor.
Concomitent use of the below mentioned medicine must be avoided:
- Increased effect: Aminoglycosides may result in synergistic antibacterial activity.
- High-dose probenecid decreases clearance.
- Increased toxicity: Aminoglycosides increase nephrotoxic potential.
Interaction with Food
Interaction with Disease
- Congestive Heart Failure: Caution should be exercised while administering this medication to patients having heart failure and edema as the risk of worsening of conditions is very high. The lowest recommended dose should be administered to a patient having mild heart failure and edema with clinical monitoring of symptoms. For moderate and severe conditions the use of this medicine is not recommended.
- Bladder Cancer: The use of this medication is not recommended in patients having an active bladder tumor. The likelihood of worsening of cancer is high and hence other medications should be used in such cases.
- Liver Disease: This medicine should be used with caution in patients having an increased liver serum levels or an active liver disease. The liver serum levels should be examined before initiating the use of this medicine. Symptoms of liver failure like nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and darkened urine colour while using this medicine should be reported immediately.
- Anemia: The use of this medication may cause a decrease in the levels of hemoglobin and hence should be administered with caution in anemic patients.
Ques: What is Ceftriaxone 1000 MG Injection?
Ques: How long do I need to use Ceftriaxone 1000 MG Injection before I see improvement in my condition?
Ques: At what frequency do I need to use Ceftriaxone 1000 MG Injection?
Ques: Should I use Ceftriaxone 1000 MG Injection empty stomach, before food or after food?
Ques: Is Ceftriaxone 1000 MG Injection safe?
Ques: How long does Ceftriaxone 1000 MG Injection take to work?
Ques: What if I do not get better after using Ceftriaxone 1000 MG Injection?
Ques: For how long does Ceftriaxone 1000 MG Injection stay in the body?
Ques: Is Ceftriaxone 1000 MG Injection effective?
Lybrate is a medium to provide our audience with the common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. Even if there is no mention of a warning for any drug or combination, it never means that we are claiming that the drug or combination is safe for consumption without any proper consultation with an expert.
Lybrate does not take responsibility for any aspect of medicines or treatments. If you have any doubts about your medication, we strongly recommend you to see a doctor immediately.