Sit at the dinner table, and you'd find yourself invariably extending your hand to the glass of water on the side of your plate. While you may think it's absolutely necessary to have a glass of water during your meals, the truth is this habit of yours might be damaging your health. Read on to find out how.
1. It Dilutes your Gastric Juices - When the digestive acids (acids responsible for the digestion and breakdown of food as well as for killing infectious agents ingested with food) present in your stomach are diluted with water, they bring about a slowdown in the functioning of your entire digestive system. This slowdown results in food remaining lodged in your stomach for a longer period than normal, thereby causing indigestion.
Additionally, the reaction caused by the dilution of water and stomach acids can give rise to cramps in your tummy.
2. It Reduces the Saliva in your Mouth - The same thing that happens to the acids in your stomach, happens to your saliva as well. Water dilutes the saliva, which stops the breakdown of food in your mouth. Also, your saliva is responsible for stimulating your stomach to release digestive enzymes and prepare itself for the process of digestion. By drinking water with your meals, such signals sent by your saliva to your stomach become much weaker. All these together can make digestion very difficult.
3. It Causes Acidity - Studies show that drinking water with your meals not only leads to the dilution of digestive enzymes, but also brings about a reduction in the secretion of digestive enzymes. This causes the undigested food in your stomach to leak into the lower part of your oesophagus (food pipe), causing acidity and heart burn.
4. It increases insulin Production - Sipping on water in the middle of lunch (or any other meal for that matter) causes a spike in your insulin levels just as glycaemic foods (foods with high starch or sugar content such as honey, potatoes, white bread, rice to name a few) would. When your body is unable to digest food properly, it usually tends to convert the glucose filled part of that food into fat and stores it, reason why your blood sugar levels see an upsurge.
5. It Adds to your Weight - Since drinking water causes an increase in insulin levels in your body (as the food you eat is converted to fat), it can result in the piling of extra weight on your body. This is because a weak digestive system is one of the major causes behind obesity.
Try having your meals with less salt and drink water 30 minutes before each meal to control your thirst when you're eating. This can help you in controlling the negative effects that drinking water with your meals can have on your health.
Make a wise choice and stay healthy. Feel free to ask me more questions you might have.read more
Doctor in Belgharia Diet Clinics
Customised Diet Chart
Weight Management Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Weight Loss Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Healthy Heart Diet
Child Nutrition Management
Immunity Therapy Treatment
Nutrition Assessment Service
Treatment Of Foot Infection
Asthma Treatment & Management
Diet Therapy Treatment
Weight Management Counseling
Submit a review for Belgharia Diet ClinicsYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Hi I came to Dr.Swapan Banerjee (Dietitian) at Garcha (South Kolkata) Chember for my mother (age 71) was suffering from Chronic Liver Disease three months back .That time she was quite sick & unable to eat anything due to indigestion,vomit,other problem like thyroid. Now by his Diet my mother is okay & totally fit. she is just now taking only one medicine & even working at home normally as we do.This is so surprising because of good diet.Thanks to this Dieitian - Sudip - Konnagar-Hooghly
Hi Everyone I am from outside came to India only for my 12 year of son's treetment. I visited to Dr.Swapan Banerjee.I got a good DIET CHART & started following. My son did not eat anything & weight was too low. Now he got 8 kgs more & no eating disorders. He is totally fit by Dr.Banerjee for his Diet. I am so Happy. Thanks to Your Lybrate Dieitian.-
Hallo -Just recently I had a visit to Dietitian S.Banerjee - He has spent more than 1 hour to counsel & given a diet plan. I am really benefited by his advice.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Swapan Banerjee to be sensible, inspiring, well-reasoned, saved my life and nurturing. E
Hi-Dr Swapan Banerjee is a very good dietitian. I got lot of help for over weight.
F. H. Khambhati
Dr. Swapan Banerjee provides answers that are knowledgeable. Nice job
I am satisfied. I cam to him for diabetes Diet.
Hi. I am 21 year old. My weight is 48 kg. And height is 165 cms. please suggest me healthy diet for increase weight. And any others suggestions for good muscles.
Green coffee is now a new trend. Green coffee has miraculous beneficiary qualities.
What is green coffee?
Green coffee is an extract of unroasted, green bean of coffee.
10 benefits of green coffee:
- Blood pressure reducing agent – The chlorogenic acid reduces blood pressure, high blood pressure affects the blood vessels.
- Prevent Alzheimer- green coffee prevents the mental diseases like Alzheimer’s.
- Mental alertness – Green coffee gives strengthen the nervous system, mental alertness. Enhance the mental capacity and enhance concentration.
- Prevent bacterial infection – Green coffee has steviol which strengthens your immune system and prevents bacterial infections.
- Better Diabetic control – The green coffee contains chlorogenic acid which helps in management of sugar level for type 2 diabetes mellitus and also for pre-diabetic,
- Cancer preventive quality – The chlorogenic acid in green coffee contain antioxidant property. The green coffee consumption prevents cancer cell formation.
- Cures depression – The depressed person has shown lower level of brain-derived neurotrophic factor, this brain-derived neurotrophic factor which reduces aging process
- Thermogenic – Green coffee helps to burn fat and also helps to give energy.
- Reduces craving for sugar – The green coffee reduces blood sugar which in turn reduces insulin resistance and sugar craving. It also has chromium and vitamin b complex which reduces craving for sugar.
- Supporting the metabolism – The green coffee enhance the body metabolism,
Therefore, Green coffee is an amazing thing to our body having plenty of beneficial effects.
Sir My father wanted to reduce his weight he is 65 years old how should he reduce his weight please give some advice to do it.
I have a desk job and my weight has been increased by 10 kg I need to reduce my weight please suggest.
Lose Your Weight Quickly but safely – Atkin, Dukan or Keto?
- There is a restriction of veggies as carbohydrates from veggies per serving are also countable in Atkin’s diet.
- Foods included are meat, seafood, dairy, and veggies.
- Good for people who don’t want to count calories but this diet is not good in a long term.
- Foods included are lean meats, fish, low-fat dairy, low starch veggies, oat bran etc.
- Dukan diet allows the foods from the list of hundred of natural foods.
- Dukan diet allows eating till you satisfied from your hunger cue.
- This diet is not recommended for kidney or cholesterol patients.
This is a diet containing high fat but low carbohydrate & standard protein. Most children with epilepsy or those who are interested in cutting down fat as soon as possible.
Dukan Diet main phases:
- Consolidation Phase: You can take unlimited lean protein with veggies fruits like berries, chopped melon, medium apple, orange, pear, peach, kiwis, plums or apricots, little carbohydrates like two pieces of bread, little butter, cheese, pasta, starches up to 225gm/week and fats including 2.5 tablespoons of oat bran per day. In a week one day with lean protein and oats only. This phase is proteins with veggies and limited carbohydrates and fats.
- Stabilization Phase: It is same as consolidation phase only oat bran amount will increase to 3 tablespoons/day. In this phase, no foods are strictly avoided.
In this type of diet, you can get enough quality protein especially lean protein which is the key source of strength, stamina & overall muscle builds up. Body builders can be highly benefitted here this type of diet to get toned body
- There is a risk of losing bone density which results into osteoporosis.
- Low fiber disturbs stomach and causes IBS.
- Not recommended for electrolyte imbalanced patients.
Atkin’s Diet main phases:
- Fine tuning Phase: Dieters should follow the restrictive diet for at least for a month.
- Lifetime Maintenance: Here healthy diet with limited carbohydrate is allowed to maintain a target weight.
- There is no counting of calories the only amount of carbohydrate is monitored to lose weight.
- It allows rapid weight loss thus increases confidence.
- Instead of a high-fat diet, this diet improves health and cholesterol level.
- Though the diet is very restrictive there is a chance of binge eating which causes weight gain instead of losing.
- Following Atkin’s diet may result in constipation, Halitosis, and dehydration.
- There is a risk of weight regain when back to normal life.
The stages of Keto Diet are
- Hack Fasting: When body burns own fat you feel less hungry and intermittent fasting or little gap between foods is good for health.
- Optimum Health: Maintain your optimum health by devoid of harmful foods and including quality foods for a lifetime.
- Releases muscle for the better shape of the body.
- Enhances cognition
- Reduces risk of cancer, neurological disorder, PCOD.
- Increases sports performance.
Not good for athletes who needs high carbohydrates for performance.
Finally, considering all these pros and cons of all the three diets types, Atkin’s diet is the best followed by keto diet and the last is Dukan’s diet for safe weight reduction purpose. This would be the right decision for an individual to take proper advice by a dietitian to prepare a well-balanced low carb diet for fast but safe weight loss.