Management of Abortion
Knee Pain Treatment
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Root Canal Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Root Canal Treatment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Submit a review for KIMS HospitalYour feedback matters!
Gall Bladder is a small sac which is pear shaped and is present just underneath the Liver. It is connected to the Liver through a small duct called the bile duct, the gall bladder stores the bile which is secreted by the liver and sends it to the intestines to aid in the digestion of fats.
When there are excess toxins in the liver there is concentration in the bile and this gets stored up in the bile thus leading to various kinds of gall bladder problems, such as- gall stones, infection and inflammation
Symptoms are as follows:
- Pain – mild to severe pain in the right side of the abdomen which usually increases with deep inspiration and expiration, Nausea, Vomitings, Loose bowels or constipation, Excess Gas, Fainting, fever and so on.
- In my practice I’ve found that people with obesity and high LDL cholesterol levels tend to have increased risk of gall stone or gall bladder problems, people who are obese also tend to have gall stones.
- Now - a - days owing to the food and lifestyle habits almost every other person has small stones in the gall bladder which may not be quite a problem now but later may pose a threat if they increase in size
- Solution: to avoid these problems of gall bladder we don’t need heavy medications and procedures unless until the problem is very severe, as there is a saying “ a stitch in time saves nine” you can save your gall bladder when your body gives you the signals that it is not able to take more toxins for this you need to avoid certain foods which I list below and follow a good detoxification of liver every fortnight:
Foods to avoid-
High fatty fried foods, sugary foods, Alcohol, coffee and chocolate, many people love creamy foods which lead to obesity and thus gall bladder problems avoid those creams,
Foods to take-
Beans, lentils, beetroots, celery, apples, carrots, any green veggies, these will help your liver detoxify easily
If you’re already having a gall bladder problem, you need to immediately make changes in your diet and lifestyle habits or get ready to get the gall bladder removed which might make it more difficult to digest fats and you will gain even more weight.
Homoeopathic remedies such as Taraxacum and Cardus Marinus help in solving the gall bladder problems but you need to consult a homoeopathic physician before taking these medications for proper medical guidance.
Avoid these above-mentioned foods and most of all stress try to be good yourself and love your body don’t force it to have more than what it can bear.
Drinking a cup of tea everyday helps in keeping the gums and teeth healthy as it contains high amounts of flouride and flavonoids which prevent harmful bacteria from sticking to the teeth.
Root canal therapy has to be one of the most delicate dental procedures ever. Every time someone mentions a visit to the dentist, this is the first treatment that is bound to come to mind. They will either think of root canals or braces. It is only recently that technology has brought about some other treatments like dental implants, Invisalign, dental crowns, porcelain veneers and much more. However, there is only so much that you can do with porcelain veneers to treat a tooth that has an infected pulp. To tell the truth, there is nothing that veneers can do for you in such a case. Root canal therapy can do a lot though.
The structure of the tooth
Let's take a brief biology class before going further into this article. The tooth is made up of a non-living and living part. The external part of the tooth that everyone sees is non-living. It is primarily the enamel, the hard outer covering that protects the interior part of the tooth. The pulp cavity, which is the interior part of the tooth, makes up the vast majority of the living part. It is in the pulp that you will find nerve endings and blood capillaries.
With time, the tooth ages and the enamel weakens. This is when people get cavities and bacteria will then be able to penetrate into the pulp cavity. This causes infection of the pulp and consequential pain. The pain varies in intensity from one person to another and from one case to another. There are times when the pain is just so mild it is negligible, but this eventually grows in intensity. This is how it always starts- mild and gradually growing to unbearable pain.
Fixing the problem effectively
Root canal therapy is the best way to fix the tooth. It comes highly recommended by medical practitioners because you get to not only to solve the problem but also save the tooth. You do not have to remove the tooth simply because of an infection unless it is extremely infected beyond salvation. There is the option of having the tooth extracted and replaced with an implant. There is no point in wasting a perfectly good tooth though.
The delicateness of root canal therapy is evident when you put into consideration the levels of hygiene that are necessary for the treatment. Root canals are very delicate because you have to observe high levels of hygiene. Secondly, the process has to be done carefully.
Cleaning out the dead pulp should be effective enough to prevent re-infection. If the tooth is not cleaned out and then it gets sealed, you will still have to go back for treatment for the same tooth. You do not want to waste your time with such things. Therefore, make sure that you have the therapy conducted by an experienced dental health practitioner.
Dark spots may occur due to acne,
Allergies, injuries or excess production of melanin which in turn is the result of ageing, excess exposure to the sun or genetic factors. Dark spots are embarrassing especially when you have them on the visible parts of your body like your face and arms.
Home remedies are the most economic and effective way to treat dark spots. They also give you a glowing and a younger looking skin.
Home Remedies for Black Spots on Your Face
Take 4 tbsp of buttermilk and 2 tbsp of tomato juice and then mix well.
Apply the liquid and then wash your face. Both have bleaching properties and it remove these dark spots very easily. The black spots on face do not look good. Therefore, apply this method to look clean and clear.
Soak 10 almonds in a bowl of milk and keep overnight.
You must ground the almonds after you peel the skin. Also, add 1 tbsp of sandalwood powder and ½ tbsp honey. Make a fine paste and apply on the face. Keep it for 30 minutes and then you must wash it off.
For skin exfoliation, the oatmeal powder is just best.
You can apply this oatmeal mask and remove all the patchiness from your face. Take some oats and grind and then add 3 tbsp lemon juice to make the paste. Scrub it on the face and then wash with warm water.
You can place the potato slice on the dark spots and keep them for a few minutes.
Then, you must wash your face with lukewarm water. Grate the potato and mix with honey and then apply on the face. It will definitely show you the bright result.
5. Aloe Vera
It has many medicinal properties and you can remove all the dark spots from the face.
Apply the Aloe Vera gel directly on the face, massage slowly and then sees the beneficial result. Now, you know how to remove dark spots with the help of Aloe Vera and witness the beneficial result.
It is a single item which is effective for all types of problems.
It can reduce sun spots, dark spots and patchiness from the skin. Take some milk, lemon juice and turmeric. Apply the paste on the spots and keep it for a few minutes and then wash it nicely.
Some dark spots are very hard to remove and you can consult with a dermatologist to get the desired result.
Headache or cephalgia, though is not a serious disease, but the condition has become a part of our daily life for most most of us. Homeopathy form of medicine classifies the headache into two major types i.e. primary headache and secondary headache. Sinusitis, excessive stress and strain to spinal cord or neck due to improper posturing are the major cause for primary headaches.
Secondary headaches are just the warning signal of any other serious pathological disease condition in our body. It might be because of any trauma in head, craniotomy surgeries, and compression of nerve endings because of growing tumour in neck or brain.
Homeopathy is an ancient form of medicine which identifies the exact cause of headache for the person and treats accordingly. Thus, the treatment modalities change from one individual to the other.
Homeopathic medicines for headache:
Belladonna, Pulsatilla, Nux vomica, Bryonia, Gelsemium, iris, Sanguinaria and spigelia are the commonly used homeopathic medicine to treat any type of headache even if it is migraine.
Homeopathy also advices certain self care remedies to relieve headache
- Exercises and massage: Doing exercises and massages improve the circulation and thereby relieve the headache.
- Proper posturing: Identify the postures that causes excessive muscle contraction and strain to the neck and spinal cord. Maintaining good posture helps in relieving headache because of muscle contractions.
- Rest: Headache indicates that your body is lacking adequate rest. Relax and sleep to relieve headache is the best natural way to calm your body from stress.
- Eat small frequent meals: Headache sometimes may also occur as a result of low glucose level so split your meals and have as small frequent feeds. Include foods such as spinach, olive oil and tofu or pumpkin seeds for person who get headache as a result of hypoglycaemic effect.
- Cold compress: Applying ice pack over your forehead helps in relieving the nagging type of headache.
- Stay hydrated : Dehydration is the main cause of headache so have frequent sips of water to maintain the hydration status. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a homeopath and ask a free question.
Varicose veins are known to be a very common problem, which result in the inflammation of veins in the body. Veins are the blood vessels, which are responsible for the transfer of deoxygenated blood from the different parts of the body to the heart. Because the blood does not contain oxygen, it has a bluish tinge. As a result varicose veins are most likely to appear bluish when swollen.
This condition is quite common in old people and some are even likely to develop slight ulcers in the vein.
Homeopathic treatment for varicose veins
Certain Homeopathic drugs are said to work wonders for this condition, as they not only offer pain relief, but also make the veins more elastic. This helps with effective circulation and thus, the swelling reduces. The following is a list of some homeopathic medicines that work best to cure varicose veins.
- Hamamelis: It is known to be the best cure for varicose veins. It effectively stops any sort of bleeding from the veins. It also offers relief from pain and from a sensation of heaviness of the legs.
- Pulsatilla: This medicine is greatly recommended for women who develop varicose veins during the course of their pregnancy. It immediately does away with the pain. The medicine especially works well for swollen veins of the legs and the hands. Application of a cold pack also helps relieve the pain and reduce swelling.
- Calcarea: It is generally recommended to patients who have varicose veins, but do not suffer from any pain. In case the patient feels chilly and suffers from various other symptoms like some sort of burning sensation in the veins or cold hand and feet, calcarea is a good cure.
- Graphites: It is known to be a great cure for varicose veins that is accompanied with some amount of itching and cramping.
- Arnica: This homeopathic medicine effectively deals with varicose veins accompanied with symptoms like soreness and bruising. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Homeopath.
Odontalgia or severe toothache is characterized by extreme pain or inflammation of the tooth and its surrounding areas. The excruciating pain that you might experience may stem as a result of gum infection, tooth decay, infection of the dental pulp, abscess and due to certain other reasons like extraction or filling of the teeth. Another key reason for extreme toothache is the fact that a number of heart problems, such as myocardial infarction and angina tend to affect your dental health negatively.
While some toothaches might occur sporadically, they might pose a danger against your overall well-being in the long run, if the condition is left untreated. Homeopathy can serve as the perfect antidote to your toothache problems and its effects are noted to be significantly higher when it comes down to the question of long-term consumption. Here is a list of homeopathic medications that might prove to be a pain alleviator for your dental complications:
- Hepar Sulph and Silicea: Root abscess responds positively, to both Hepar Sulph and Silicea. For fever accompanied with occasional chills due to severe toothache, Hepar Sulph is considered to be the perfect remedy and tends to significantly decrease the level of swelling and pain. On the other hand, if your face swells and there is an incidence of gum inflammation, Silicea must be used to numb the effects of root abscess.
- Plantago: Plantago is noted to be the most commonly prescribed medicine for toothaches and for treating sensitivity. The pain extending to the ears from the teeth receives maximum relief due to the effects of Plantago. It might have to be taken internally or applied externally depending on the severity of the toothache and its accompanying conditions.
- Staphysagria: Sensitivity is best taken care of by Staphysagria and resolves the problem of worsening of toothache, when any drink or food is consumed. Bleeding gums and excess salivation is also another aspect that is looked after by Staphysagria.
- Arnica: Tooth extraction and filling may often lead to the consequence of nerve-wrecking pain in the gums and the affected area. For this, Arnica is prescribed to assuage the nerve pain and must be taken in along with Hypericum, another homeopathy medicine, for best results.
- Merc Sol: Problems of halitosis and excessive salivation that tend to occur simultaneously with toothaches can be solved by a dosage of Merc Sol. Bleeding gums, looseness of teeth and sensitivity are all taken care of by the same medication.
- Hecla Lava: For jaw swells along with toothache, you must always opt for Hecla Lava. The effect is instantaneous and relieves both swelling and pain.
- Chamomilla: Chamomilla serves as the best remedial homeopathic medicine for easing heat sensitivity that is likely to worsen the existing toothache. Drinks and food, either hot or cold, can then be consumed easily because of the numbing effect of this medicine.
A number of digestion related problems plague people from time to time. Diarrhea or loose motions remains one of the most debilitating problem in this regard, with other conditions like IBS or irritable bowel syndrome and colitis, Crohn’s Disease and others like pain, discomfort and related issues. If your daily schedule is hampered by constant trips to the bathroom and your eating habits show poor nutritional choices and a lack of appetite, then it may be time to do something about these digestive problems.
Let us acquaint ourselves with a few measures for treatment of the same.
- Triggers: One of the important and primary steps in the process of treating your digestive related problem is to learn how to recognise and identify the triggers so that you may avoid the same. There are many kinds of food that may not be suitable for some people. With the help of your doctor, you can go through a food or skin test that will help in exposing you to small amounts of various ingredients. The results will help in pointing towards the food allergy or triggers that you may be suffering from. Apart from food, there may be certain kinds of medication that may be causing side effects like loose motions and other digestive problems. Also, there are certain situations and stress giving factors that may be contributing to this condition. In such cases, it is best to maintain a food dairy or event diary so that you learn your triggers and avoid the same.
- Hydration: One of the most important ways of treating digestive problems is to drink plenty of fluids and to keep your body well hydrated. Besides routinely flushing out the toxins that cause the condition in the first place, plenty of water intake will also help in replenishing the lost fluid reserves as the body tends to get dehydrated swiftly when it is suffering from such conditions. One should also avoid contaminated sources of water and try to drink bottled and packaged water, especially while travelling.
- Hygiene: It is important to eat hygienically prepared food and wash your hands before and after meals so as to remove unhygienic triggers from the list that causes digestive disorders. Using alcohol free wipes in case you are suffering from loose motions and keeping a sanitiser handy at all times will also help in treating the condition.
- Medicines: The doctor may prescribe various kinds of medicines in order to fight the onset of such conditions as well for treatment of related symptoms like bloating and gas. This medication must always be kept handy so that the patient can have it as soon as the earliest symptoms arise.
Heat treatment or thermotherapy is an effective process of healing from a sports injury. Understanding the when and how to use heat treatment is essential since it can even prolong the process of healing.
The Process Of Healing-
There are three stages of healing. The first phase is called the inflammatory phase. The goal for this phase is to ensure that no further damage happens to the affected area. It is during this phase that the swelling and the buildup of fluid happens. Heat treatment is not applicable here since it increases the blood circulation and can lengthen the healing process. The second phase is called proliferation. This is the phase where the introduction of scarring and new tissue takes place. This is the post-injury phase and heat treatment greatly helps during this time. The third phase is known as remodelling. It is the time when the new tissue matures and settles down. Thermotherapy can be applied in this phase as well.
Injuries that are treatable through thermotherapy-
Heat treatments are extremely effective in injuries such as muscle spasms along with back strains. It can also be applied to joint injuries related to a thumb, turf toe, elbow, wrist sprains and sprained ankles. The reason why heat treatment is effective in joint injuries is because heating significantly heats the bone and improves the range of motion. The idea behind any heat treatment is to make the tissue more extensible by warming it up. Exercises related to a range of motion should be performed for 15-20 minutes post the heat treatment.
How heat treatment helps in treating sports injuries?
Heat treatment significantly increases the blood circulation and help to eradicate dead skin and other toxic bodies from the origin of the injury.
It assists in metabolism of the cells.
It increases the capillary permeability.
It increases the number of nutrients and oxygen to the source of injury and speeds up the process of healing.
Heat treatments can cut down muscle spasms.
Types of Heat Treatments Available:
For heating deep tissues, ultrasound is the best form of treatment. It can penetrate up to 1.5 inches inside the skin. Basic strain injuries such as hamstring and rotator cuff are instantly treatable with ultrasound. This being said it is one of the most expensive methods of heat treatment. Then there is superficial heat therapy. This is convenient and readily available. They directly transfer heat from the source to the injury location. Common examples of these are a hot tub, paraffin bath and hot bags. The third type of heating mechanism is known as dry hot packs. They produce a steady source of heat and are run by either microwave or electricity. Caution should be taken in order to ensure that the heat does not burn the upper layer of the skin.
During the natural course of events, a women's body starts its reproductive phase with menarche and at about 50 years of age, attains menopause. This is when the reproductive function ceases and the ovaries stop producing the hormone estrogen and progesterone. In some cases, for various reasons including medical, the ovaries stop functioning earlier, and this is medically termed early or premature menopause. Menopause that occurs before 40 years of age is termed premature menopause; it is due to primary ovarian insufficiency and occurs in 1% of the women. If it occurs between 45 to 50 years, it is termed early menopause.
Causes: Normal ageing, family history, genetic disorders, autoimmune disorders, toxins, and surgery are some reasons that could lead to premature menopause.
Effects: Estrogen and progesterone have a lot of beneficial effects on a women's body. Reduction in their levels leads to some of the below changes:
- Emotional changes like mood swings, irritability, and in some cases depression, especially in premature menopause.
- Irregular cycles before complete cessation of the menstrual cycles.
- General mucosal dryness leading to vaginal dryness, dry skin, dry eyes.
- There also would be urinary incontinence and reduced sex drive due to reduced hormone levels.
- For women who still would want to have children, infertility would be a big cause for concern. This could lead to other emotional issues, worsening the depression.
- Osteoporosis - Bones lose their density and get weak and are more prone to fracture.
- Cardiovascular health - Post menopause, women are more prone to heart attacks and stroke. Though not fully proven, this is believed to be true as the good role that estrogen plays on blood vessels is negated with menopause.
- Accelerated ageing - Menopause leads to accelerated damage of genetic structures, thereby leading to faster ageing. This also leaves a feeling in the women of being less attractive and less desirable.
There is also a good news, that after menopause women are at lesser risk of cancer - especially breast and ovarian.
It is not easy for women to handle premature menopause. The body undergoes some changes much earlier than expected, and it requires a lot of support and caring and comforting to come to terms with it - especially if associated with infertility or chemotherapy for cancer. Emotional issues of not being able to have children and feeling less attractive require frank talks to boost the person's confidence and increase self-worthiness.
It is easier said than done, but one of the key ways to handle premature menopause is an open discussion.
Have you undergone cartilage damage recently and are seeking ideal treatment measures? Cartilage damage is a common form of injury that involves your knees. Other joints such as the ankles, elbows and hips may also be affected by cartilage damage. Cartilage, the tough and flexible tissues covering the surface of your joints, acts as a shock absorber, allowing the bones to slide over each other. Cartilage damage may occur because of injuries such as a gradual wear, sports injuries and osteoarthritis. While acute cartilage damage may heal on its own, severe damage may need treatment via surgical measures.
- Physiotherapy is effective when you experience difficulty in moving your affected joint.
- It is also an important part of recovery if you have to undergo surgical procedures for treating cartilage damage.
- A physiotherapist will teach you certain exercises that are effective for strengthening the muscles that surround and support your affected joint.
- This helps in reducing pain and pressure on the joint.
- Severe and serious cartilage damage does not heal effectively on its own, and a surgery may be required for treatment.
- Usually, surgery is performed by using Arthroscopy. This is a form of keyhole surgery in which certain instruments are inserted into your affected joint via incisions or small cuts.
- In some cases, larger incisions have to be made.
- Such surgeries are carried out after giving general anesthesia to the patient.
The most common surgeries that are undertaken in cases of cartilage damage include the following:
Lavage and debridement
- In this form of surgery, your joint is cleaned for the removal of any loose tissues.
- The damaged edges are trimmed to be made smooth. Sometimes, the damage may also be repaired during the same time.
- In this procedure, tiny holes are made on the bone beneath your damaged cartilage that releases the bone marrow in it.
- The marrow cells stimulate the production of new cartilage.
- In this procedure, small plugs of healthy cartilage from areas of a joint that are non-weight bearing are removed and used for replacing areas of the affected cartilage.
- This procedure involves the alteration of the alignment of your leg for reducing pressure on the damaged area.
- It is effective in improving pain.
- A wedge of bone may be removed or added from your thigh bone or shin bone.
- The bone gets fixed with a plate till it gets healed.
In some cases, a joint replacement surgery has to be carried out. In this procedure, the entire affected joint is removed and replaced with an artificial joint. Hip replacement and knee replacement are common examples of this kind of surgery.
Ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammatory condition whereby, tiny abscesses and ulcers are formed on the inner lining of the large intestine, or on the colon or rectum. These ulcers may burst frequently resulting in diarrhea and bloody stools. This disease may also be responsible for causing anemia as well as harsh abdominal pain.
Ulcerative colitis normally alternate periodically from flaring up to receding quickly. These periods of remission can either last for weeks or maybe, even for years at a stretch. They are, however, not permanent and although the disease may seem to have disappeared completely, it can soon show up again in no time. Usually beginning in the rectum, it can, by and by, spread rapidly to other parts of the colon. If it is, however, limited only to the rectum, then it is more commonly referred to as ulcerative proctitis.
Surgery is generally obligatory and mandatory when it comes to treating ulcerative colitis. If surgery is not performed, you may suffer from long-lasting side effects, including cancer and colon rupture. Here are the different types of surgery that you may undergo:
- Colectomy: This is done when the entire colon needs to be removed and is usually performed to eliminate the perils of acquiring colon cancer.
- Proctocolectomy: This concerns the total removal of both colon and rectum and is usually the standard procedure when dealing with ulcerative colitis.
- Ileal Pouch Anal Anastomosis: If the treatment does not require a permanent stoma, and if you can still manage to let out stool from your anus, then this surgery, also called restorative proctocolectomy would be most appropriate.
Here, both colon and rectum are removed, but at the same time, the small intestine is utilized to form an internal reservoir, called a J-pouch, which is linked to the anus and can hereafter serve as your new rectum.
Sinusitis or sinus infections can be quite a debilitating ailment when it becomes recurrent. Sinuses are cavities within our head just behind the nose which extends up to our forehead and to certain areas of the cheeks. These cavities are filled with a mucosal lining which helps you breathe and also filters the air which goes to the lungs. When the mucosal lining gets inflamed, it blocks the normal drainage of the mucus into the nose. This results in headaches, nasal polyps and general discomfort. Homeopathy offers some great remedies for this condition, without side effects. Some of these are discussed below.
Homeopathic remedies for sinus problems
- Belladonna: This medication is very effective when the sinusitis has resulted in a suppressed discharge from the nose which occurs intermittently. If you have a splitting headache which feels unbearable, Belladonna can help relieve the symptoms quickly. If the infection of the sinus has spread to the throat and results in cough, Belladonna can be equally effective in those circumstances as well.
- Pulsatilla: If you are experiencing a greenish mucosal discharge from your nose without a painful burning sensation within it, Pulsatilla can be a very effective cure. Another indication where this medication is very effective is when you have headaches centered just above your eyes rather than over the forehead or other parts of your face.
- Kali Bichrome: This is another commonly prescribed medication to deal with the symptoms of sinusitis as well as to reduce inflammation and cure sinusitis altogether. If you have a lot of mucosal discharge that drops into your throat along with discharges through the nose, Kali Bichrome is the drug to go to. Other indications where it is effective are pain and heaviness in the nose and the inability to breathe with headaches in and around the eyes.
- Silicea: If you are feeling cold and constantly chilly along with nasal stuffiness, Silicea is the medication to go to. Along with discharges, your nose may form hard mucous crusts within it. Trying to manually remove these crusts may also cause bleeding. Silicea will reduce these symptoms and is also effective in reducing a headache which occurs mostly on the left side of your face.
- Merc Sol: If you are experiencing a yellowish green discharge from the nose along with a burning sensation and increased saliva secretion in your mouth, Merc Sol is the remedy to turn to. It is also effective wherein the headache has spread all around the head.
The sunscreen acts as a layer of defense against sun radiation and keeps it from causing any damage. It is tremendously important to stress upon the importance of using sunscreen. Using a sunscreen every time you step outdoors and using it correctly is of vital importance to have healthy skin. No sunscreen provides absolute protection from the harmful rays of the sun, but using the right product in the right way will take you far in shielding yourself from their harshness.
Two important facts about sunscreen are:
- You don't need to apply sunscreen if your makeup contains SPF - If any of your makeup products like foundation or powder contains SPF, do not assume that it can replace your sunscreen. Makeup containing SPF cannot protect your skin entirely as cosmetics are generally applied lightly and mostly doesn't cover places like T-zones, earlobes or hairline. To fully shield your skin from the sunrays, it's necessary to apply sunscreen or moisturizer with at least SPF 30 before putting makeup on. It is advisable to apply the sunscreen half an hour before stepping out for maximum benefit.
- You do not need to apply sunscreen in winters or when you are indoors - Winter skin is relatively more sensitive than summer skin which is tanned. If one is in hilly areas or snow covered regions there is reflection of UV light from the snow that causes more skin damage. Also glass can allow UV rays to pass through and indoor lighting can also be a source of UV exposure, therefore you should apply sunscreen even when you are indoors.
Following are the do's and don'ts you need to follow before you apply sunscreen:
- Do: Choose a sunscreen that is, at least, SPF 30+: That is the minimum protection that your skin requires. And if you must stay outdoors for an extended period of time, opt for a product with a higher SPF rating.
- Do: Apply sunscreen 15-30 minutes before going outdoors: For the product to be most effective, it needs to be fully absorbed by the skin before exposure to the sun; the reason why applying approximately 30 minutes before you step out of home is a must.
- Don't: Apply sunscreen only on the face: Make sure you apply it to every part of your body, especially the hands, forearms, thighs and ears, which are commonly exposed to the sun. Not only are these more prone to skin ageing, but the risk of melanoma (skin cancer) is also tremendously high in these portions of the body.
Pregnancy brings with it a new set of additional responsibilities. The mother has to be extra vigilant about monitoring and caring for her health. This ensures that sufficient nutrition is being provided to the growing infant, at the same time, ensuring no harm comes through you. Listed below are some simple ways to do the same.
- Prenatal care: As soon as you realize that you are pregnant, it is advisable to talk to a doctor or a midwife about proper prenatal care. This could include anything and everything from prenatal vitamins to food habits to exercise to sleeping habits to periodic scanning – the whole hog.
- Diet: You need to ensure two things: that you are eating enough for two people, and also that everything is healthy and not harmful for the little one that gets all its nutrition through you. The diet should be healthy, nutritious, wholesome, and of course free of junk. Some pointers to a healthy diet include:
- Include a good amount of fruits and vegetables every day; break it into five small portions.
- Sufficient amount of carbohydrates should be the basis of each meal.
- Whole grains are preferred to white grains, which also give good amount of fiber.
- A good amount of proteins including fish, eggs, meat, nuts, pulses, milk, and other dairy products.
- Ensure adequate amount of iron, calcium, and other minerals are included in the diet.
- Avoid eating non-pasteurized dairy products, uncooked or undercooked food, and smoked seafood.
- Folic acid is compulsory for the first trimester as it helps to protect your unborn baby from developing neural tube defects such as spina bifida. Also, it helps to prevent other birth defects, such as a cleft palate .
- Weight gain: If your weight was normal for your age and height before pregnancy, expect to add about 12 to 15 kg during your pregnancy. Consult with your doctor on weight changes and nutritional aspects to monitor weight throughout pregnancy. This could change based on if it is twins, your weight before pregnancy, and body type.
- Exercise: There are specific exercises designed to benefit the pregnant women. Whether it is walking or swimming aimed at improving overall health or Kegel exercises aimed at improving vaginal and perineal muscles, your doctor should be able to draw up a routine. Exercising while pregnancy is being increasingly encouraged for the following reasons:
- Improved energy levels
- Controls back pain
- Improved sleep pattern
- Improves constipation
- Improves muscles strength and endurance
- Lifestyle changes: With pregnancy setting in, it is time to bid goodbye to smoking and drinking alcohol. Continued smoking after onset of pregnancy has many serious complications, including growth retardation, low birth weight. Alcohol can lead to miscarriage, stillbirth, and premature delivery.
These are simple ways to monitor and care for your and of course, the baby’s health throughout pregnancy.