Hello, I am Dr Harmeet Singh Pasricha I am an ENT specialist working in Gurgaon for last 20 years. Today I am going to speak on a topic called paediatric obstructive sleep apnea or paediatric OSA. This is a common condition in children which present as mouth breathing during sleep during children and there is snoring also during sleep. This happens usually in the age group of 4 to 8 years during sleep it happens because there is an abstraction in the nose patient cannot breathe through the nose so it starts breathing through the mouth. This happens because of increase in the size of the tonsils and adenoids, tonsils are a pair of lymphatic tissue in the throat and adenoid is similar tissue which is situated in the midline behind the nose in the throat. When these adenoid increase in size then there is obstruction of the nose from the back side so a child cannot breathe through the nose. So in advertly opens the mouth to breathe, there is lack of oxygenation in the body and patient is restless during sleep and because of continued mouth breathing because of the growing age in the children, there are changes which developed in the face and nose of the patient. In it the front teeth come out and the pallet which is the partition between the nose and the throat it goes up, the development of the nose is reduced it forms the pins nose and the bones of the cheek they elongate downwards and the patient develops and adenoid faces. So because of the growing age, this has to control and we have to manage the patient medically. Initially, if the medical management of the patient fails then we have to go in for surgery. The surgery involves removal of the tonsil that is tonsillectomy and removal of adenoids that is adenoidectomy. Now because of its a procedure is done under general anaesthesia and adenoidectomy is now usually these days done under direct vision using the endoscopic technique transnasal or transoral technique and it is done with powered instruments now usually using micro debrider or coblation and adenoidectomy is done, so which opens up the space of the nasofarings and patient can breathe through the nose and tonsils are also removed. So the airways opened up and once the patient breathes smoother nose properly, he gets proper oxygenation and the shape of the face can be prevented from distortion. Thank you, you can contact me at my clinic a Dr Pasricha’s ENT & Eye Care Centre, Old Jail Land Complex, Sohna Adda, Gurugram, or at Columbia Asia Hospital, Palam Vihar, Gurgaon or you can book an appointment on lybrate.com. Thank you.read more
Causes, symptoms and Treatment of Paranasal Sinuses
Hello, I’m Dr. Harmeet Singh Pasricha. I’m a senior ENT consultant practicing in Gurgaon. I graduated from the prestigious Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, and I did my specialization from New Delhi. Since 2010 I’ve been practicing in Gurgaon. I have my own clinic, Dr. Pasricha’s ENT and Eye Care Centre, Old Jail Land Complex, Sohna Adda, Gurgaon. And I also practice at Columbia Asia Hospital Palam Vihar, Gurgaon. So today I will be talking about nose paranasal sinuses, and allergies associated with it, and the diseases associated with nasal sinuses, specially the nasal polyps. So nose is one of the sense organs of our body. It is responsible for the sense of smell for patients. And it also plays a major role in the facial appearance, aesthetics of the patient person’s face. So the sinuses are hollow spaces inside the bones of the face around the nose. See this is the normal anatomy of the sinuses.
Cheekbones are hollow, which has got sinuses, and other also bones in the forehead contain the sinuses. These sinuses are normal structures of the body, and they’re connected to the nose through small air passages. Because of allergies and inflammation, then these connections of the openings of the sinuses of the nose get blocked, then the patient gets problems like sinusitis. And other problems associated with this are kind of allergies nasal polyps, which are overgrowth of the mucosa of the lining of the sinuses.
These days these are medically treated as allergies if development of polyps is there. Then we have to go in for endoscopic sinus surgeries for removal of these sinuses. So with the development of the endoscope, there is no cut outside on the skin, everything is done through endoscope in the operation theatre, through the nose. And we can clear the polyps, and the sinus can be treated with this condition. And medical management also has to be done after the surgery, and most important is the endoscopic follow-up in the OPT, every 6 months after the sinus surgery, to prevent any recurrence of the disease, and to check for requirement of any surgeries later on.read more
Doctor in Dr. Pasricha's E.N.T. & Eye Care Centre
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Facial Cosmetic Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Pasricha's E.N.T. & Eye Care CentreYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
I was suffering from nasal and sinus allergy care. The entire Dr Pasricha's E.N.T. & Eye Clinic is very nicely designed. From quite some time i was suffering from pain, but never gave much importance to it. Finally with his treatment, I am completely cured from the disease. The overall atmosphere in the Dr Pasricha's E.N.T. & Eye Clinic is very soothing. A friend of mine referred to Harmeet Singh Pasricha. Harmeet Singh Pasricha has a very positive attitude towards all the patients. In order to diagnose my problem completely he asked me a number of questions. I was quite depressed due to my condition, but my Harmeet Singh Pasricha guided me to change my attitude.
During the complete ear lobe correction program he always supported and motivated me. I was shocked to experience the symptoms of ear lobe correction. It was an amazing experience as everyone in the dr Pasricha's E.N.T. & Eye Clinic is so nice. He is not just friendly, but also is very motivating. Even though Dr Harmeet Singh Pasricha is not from our city, he is still very famous, so we consulted him. Harmeet Singh Pasricha doesn't just randomly prescribes medicines, but first properly diagnoses the problem. Thanks to him I am totally satisfied with the results.
I was shocked to experience the symptoms of ear pain. Dr Harmeet Singh Pasricha is not just friendly, but also is very motivating. It's been more than a month now, and I have noticed considerable change in myself. All the staff members were very helpful. He definitely is aware about the latest and advanced ways to treat serious cases. One of my neighbour's recommended this Harmeet Singh Pasricha. dr Pasricha's E.N.T. & Eye Clinic has all the latest technology in place to handle severe cases. Thanks to him I am totally satisfied with the results.
Overall oral thrush treatment was very effective. Due to my oral thrush my daily activities were suffering. Even though there was a long queue, still the staff was very pleasant. He is so pleasant to talk to and always ready to answer your doubts. Even though Dr Pasricha is not from our city, he is still very famous, so we consulted him. Dr Pasricha's Clinic had all the amenities, a patient requires.
I was quite concerned, as my health was degrading day by day, but due to Dr Pasricha and the nose bleed treatment I didn't lose hope. The Dr Pasricha's Clinic is designed in such a manner that all requirements of patients are taken care of. He is a very practical doctor. he has so much knowledge that for everything my family takes his reference. I feel so great after the completion of treatment.
I was quite irritated with the mouth sores which I was experiencing almost every month. I am so happy that I chose Dr Harmeet for the treatment as now I am perfectly fine. He is really a sweet doctor. The treatment given by him was quite effective and quick. No matter how critical be the situation, he is always very calm.The overall atmosphere in the Vimal Dental Clinic is very soothing.
I was having allergy in my throat, but the symptoms were not very visible.i went to dr Harmeet Singh Pasricha at dr Pasricha's E.N.T. & Eye Clinic in Gurgaon. he is not just highly highly qualified, but has years of experience in handling high risk cases.her treatment suited me the best and now I am fine.
Dr Harmeet singh pasricha's Ear lobe treatment suited me the best and now I am fine. Everything was just spick and span in the dr Pasricha's E.N.T. & Eye Clinic . I am really grateful as his ear lobe repair has give me a ray of hope. My surgery was successfully done and I am very happy with it.
dr Harmeet Singh Pasricha of dr Pasricha's E.N.T. & Eye Clinic in Gurugram did my audiometry test . he is Extremely attentive, sensitive, thorough. Would recommend him to anyone I know who needs a sound medical opinion.
very nice and cooperative doctor.
Nasal allergy is something that needs proper care and treatment to opt. Nasal allergy is the home to serious health issues, so it is prominent to know the reason behind it. Sometimes people get allergic to dust, tree pollen, some flowers, animal dander or it might be something else which is causing irritation in the nose. Treat your allergies on the priority basis because it is not something which can be ignored. Give a look at the below-mentioned symptoms and know the precautions that can find a way to get you out of this.
- Nose running: The congestion in your nose can be one of the most common symptoms of nasal allergies. Maintain a distance from the substances which cause irritation in your nose. For instance, if you have nasal allergy from dogs or cats, then washing your hands properly and changing clothes after playing with them can get you rid of a sniffle.
- Sneezing: The use of antihistamines is very much helpful to get rid of the periodical sneezing, but the follow the instructions provided on the label of the medicine. Over-the-counter pills are really beneficial. Otherwise, keep the miles’ distance from the species and things which cause sneezing. Know the reason behind the sneezing as soon as possible before it takes a serious turn.
- Eyes’ Itching: If you are annoyed from the watering and itching of eyes, then do not ignore the symptom. Try using a cloth washed with cold water to place on the eyes. Contact lenses should not be adopted. Keep yourself away from the allergy trigger substances. The wearing of sunglasses can also be beneficial so adopt these ways to get the soothing eyes.
- Postnasal drip: There is a production of mucus in the lining of your nose whenever you are suffering from cold or any other allergic conditions. The thickening of the mucus is the only cause of the post nasal drip. So, opt the saline nasal spray or go for the drinking fluids. To get rid of the lump in the throat and get the pain-free nose without any type of irritation.
- Sinus pressure: If you are feeling any type of pressure behind your forehead, eyes, and cheeks, then be sure that this is the sinus pressure. Application of a warm and wet cloth to your face can be a very good catch. Try using the saline nasal spray or go for the steam inhalation. But, the long time period of the sinus pressure needs the proper care of the doctor so beware of that.
Do not ignore the symptoms mentioned above because a small mistake can cause the serious problems. The aforementioned points are also beneficial, but the reference of a doctor can provide the best ways possible. Proper care is necessary to be taken if you want to keep your nose working smoothly. Get the best advice and choose soothing breath for you.
Ear wax which is also known as cerumen is produced by the human body for the protection of the ears. Ear wax possesses both antibacterial and lubricating characteristics. Mostly, the existing ear wax is passed via the ear canal by motions such as chewing and various jaw movements. The skin from the canal widens from within. At this time, it extends from outside the ear and peels off. The ear wax is made by the outer lining of the ears.
Ear wax impaction refers to a situation where there is tremendous build-up within the canal of the ears. Such enormous build-up is indicative that something is seriously wrong. Ears are naturally designed in a way that they self-clean. Build-up of ear wax and obstruction often takes place when people make use of cotton swabs and/or bobby pins to clean out the ears. But using ear buds or cotton swabs are contrary to helpful; they push the ear wax further deep inside the ears, sometimes leading to an injury in the process.
When ear wax impaction is left untreated, it may lead to infections. Signs of severity of the impaction include irritation of the ear and loss of hearing. If there is significant accumulation of ear wax in the ear then it might make looking inside the ear troublesome, thereby, a number of issues can go undiagnosed. Of the main signs of ear wax impaction, the four most foreboding signs include:
Other symptoms of earwax impaction include drainage from the canal of the ear, pain in the ear and dizziness.
Upon experiencing the severe signs of earwax impaction or cerumen build-up, the supervising doctor can confirm that you may or may not have a blockage in the ear by looking inside the ear with an ear-scope.
Getting rid of the extra earwax is very easy. Use only cotton swabs to clean out the external region of the ears. In order to soften the consistency of the earwax you can buy certain over-the-counter drops or you can also use substances that are composed of baby oil, and glycerine.
Ear irrigation is another method which you can adopt in order to eliminate the excess earwax. If the patient considering ear irrigation has suffered an injury in the ear or had a medical procedure such as a surgery performed on the ear then he or she should immediately opt out of the idea of ear irrigation. If ear irrigation is performed on an eardrum that has become ruptured then it could lead to infection or loss of hearing. Persons having problem of impacted ear wax should get it cleaned by an ENT specialist every 6 months.
Sleep Apnea refers to sleep disorder which is characterized by irregular pauses or interruption in breathing during sleep. Every pause usually lasts for a few minutes or seconds and occurs several times at night. This may indicate that your brain as well as rest of your body is not getting sufficient supply of oxygen. Sleep apnea is of two types - Central Sleep Apnea (CSA) and Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA).
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea- This occurs when the air passage gets blocked, generally when the throat muscles periodically relax and obstruct your air passage during sleep. It is the most common type of sleep apnea and is characterized by snoring.
- Central Sleep Apnea- In this case, the airway does not get blocked, but the brain stops passing signals to the muscles that control your breathing.
Mostly people who are diagnosed with a number of underlying medical conditions such as obesity, diabetes, hypertension, chronic nasal congestion etc. are prone to Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Although Central Sleep Apnea is a less common type of sleep disorder, and does not lead to serious complications, various research studies show that Obstructive Sleep Apnea can pose adverse consequences if not treated at the right time.
One such fatal consequence is cardiovascular problems. Sudden drops in the levels of oxygen in blood that happens during Obstructive Sleep Apnea results can lead to increased blood pressure and damage of the cardiovascular system, which in turn increases the chance of a heart attack. Since men are more prone to heart ailments than women, men with sleep apnea are at a greater risk of heart ailments like stroke or heart failure, coronary artery disease and others.
Since Obstructive Sleep Apnea occurs due to interruption in the breathing procedure, it can lead to abnormal irregular heartbeats, known as arrhythmia. Arrhythmia can decrease the level of oxygen in blood and if there’s an underlying heart condition, these repetitive encounters of low blood oxygen can even lead to a sudden cardiac arrest.
Most research studies have established a positive correlation between sleep apnea and heart ailment. According to researchers, the risk of untimely death increases as the acuteness of sleep apnea increases. However, there are ways of seeking treatment for this particular sleep disorder. You should consult a doctor immediately and get yourself proper medical assistance to prevent the condition from aggravating.
Strep throat is a common bacterial infection mostly seen among young adults and children, caused by Streptococcus pyogenes, a group A bacteria, that leads to pain and inflammation in the throat. While some people may have mild symptoms, others may encounter more serious symptoms such as high fever and chills, sore throat, swollen glands, loss of appetite, and difficulty in swallowing food.
If you don’t treat the condition soon enough, strep throat can be really painful and troublesome. Although the ideal treatment option for this condition is antibiotic medications, research studies show that they are only effective in reducing the span of the infection by about half a day. Moreover, antibiotics have adverse side effects on your health, so it is always advisable to steer away from those heavy doses. The best way to keep yourself healthy and free from a strep throat is to prevent it from the very beginning. Here are a few steps you can follow to prevent yourself from getting a strep throat-
- Avoid contact- Coughing and sneezing which are the usual symptoms of a strep throat, can be contagious. The infection usually spreads from person to person so make sure you do not come in contact with the person suffering from a strep throat for at least a week or two. Also, keep your mouth covered if you ever come in contact with a sick person.
- Maintain good hygiene- Good hygiene is the key to a healthy body. In order to keep the infection at bay make sure you use an anti-bacterial soap or hand wash to clean your hands before and after you have your meal. If you’re traveling around then always carry a hand sanitizer.
- Change your diet- Include lots of fluid to your diet. Drinking lots of water and fluids will not only keep you hydrated, but will also moisten and lubricate your throat therefore reducing your chances of being affected by a strep throat. Include vitamin supplements or food that are rich in vitamins and avoid spicy or citrus food as they are likely to cause an irritable strep throat.
- Avoid smoking- Smoking causes irritation to the throat tissues, which in turn increases the chance of getting a strep throat. So stop smoking, and avoid coming in contact with smokers as well.
Although strep throat may not sound like a chronic illness, it can lead to serious complications if not prevented at the outset. Since there are no proven vaccines to prevent the infection, adopting these aforementioned steps can help you stay away from a strep throat. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Ear infection is caused when viral or bacterial infection affects the middle ear which in turn leads to inflammation and accumulation of fluid behind your eardrums. Although anyone can encounter an ear infection, it is one of the most common conditions observed in infants. The initial symptoms may include fever, pain in the ear, release of pus from the ears, and a persistent throbbing in the ear. Ear infection can be very painful and troublesome if not treated soon enough. National Institute of Health reports that in most cases the infection disappears on its own without much trouble, but in rare occasions they may leave you with adverse complications that you must be aware of.
- Hearing impairment- If you suffer from a chronic ear infection or if the infection has recurred after the treatment, you can face problems hearing. As we know, the infection occurs when fluid accumulates in your middle ear. If the fluid is not completely drained out, it may result in partial hearing loss. On the other hand, if the fluid remains trapped inside the ear for long it will harm the eardrums and the surrounding bones permanently, eventually leading to permanent hear loss. This condition poses far more a serious threat to infants as they are at risk of language and speech development delays as a result of hearing impairment.
- Ruptured eardrum- Rupture in the eardrum refers to tear or hole in the tympanic membrane or eardrum. Tympanic membrane is the fine tissue which separates the exterior ear canal from the middle ear. When fluid gathers behind your eardrum, the resultant pressure can break open the eardrum. This can cause blood or pus to flow out from the ears. If the situation does not resolve on its own, you may have to go for a surgery.
- Mastoiditis- This condition occurs when the mastoid bone that is situated right at the back of your ear, becomes infected due to infection in the middle ear. In order to perform its function properly, the mastoid needs to receive air from different sections of the ear along with the Eustachian tube which acts as the bridge between the rear side of your throat and the middle ear. If the infection in the middle ear obstructs the Eustachian tube, then it can result in the infection of the mastoid bone. In certain cases, Mastoiditis can lead to brain abscess or Meningitis, an infection in the tissues covering the spinal cord and the brain, caused by bacteria.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Traditionally, people resort to hearing aids in order to take care of their auditory problems. The perception of hearing reduces as age progresses and people find it absolutely necessary to come up with ways by which they can improve their hearing. However, cochlear implants have become extremely popular because of the method that it uses in comparison to the traditional methods of hearing aids.
What is a cochlear implant?
A cochlear implant is an electronic medical device that replaces the function of the damaged inner ear. Unlike hearing aids, which make sounds louder, cochlear implants bypass the damaged hair cells of the inner ear (cochlea) to send signals to Auditory nerve. Cochlear implant bypass the damaged hair cells in cochlea & send signals to Auditory nerve.
Who can they help?
The cochlear implant technology can help people who:
- have moderate to profound hearing loss in both ears
- receive little or no benefit from hearing aids
- score 50% or less on sentence recognition tests done by hearing professionals in the ear to be implanted
- score 60% or less on sentence recognition tests done by hearing professionals in the non-implanted ear or in both ears with hearing aids.
Many people have cochlear devices in both ears (bilateral). Listening with two ears can improve your ability to identify the direction of sound and separate the sounds you want to hear from those you don’t.
What are the benefits of a cochlear implant?
Many adults with cochlear implants report that they:
- Hear better with a cochlear implant than with a hearing aid
- A previous study has shown that people with a cochlear implant achieve an average of 80% sentence understanding, compared with 10% sentence understanding for hearing aids1.
- Can focus better when in noisy environments.
- Find it easier to have conversations with people across meeting tables, in restaurants and other crowded places.
- Reconnect with missed sounds that they could not hear before their cochlear implant.
- Feel safer in the world as they can hear alarms, people calling out and approaching vehicles.
- Talk and hear on the phone.
- Enjoy music.
??How is a cochlear implant different from a hearing aid?
A cochlear implant is very different from a hearing aid and is appropriate for individuals for whom hearing aids fail to provide benefit. A hearing aid makes sounds louder. Sound still travels through all the portions of the ear (outer ear, middle ear, inner ear) to the hearing nerve. A cochlear implant bypasses these structures and directly stimulates the hearing nerve with electrical energy. Because hearing aids amplify sounds and rely on the hearing system to convey the message, people with severe to profound hearing loss may be able to hear, but not understand speech well. The main objective of a cochlear implant is to improve speech understanding in quiet. Clarity with a cochlear implant is usually better than a hearing aid because the implant does not make sounds louder but delivers them to the hearing nerve.
There are a number of symptoms, which people should be looking out for before concluding that they have a hearing disorder:
- Inability to hear properly
- Excessive ear pain and stress on the brain
- Failure to communicate properly
- Discomfort in the mouth or nose
- Other feelings of anxiety or stress that may actually be a consequence of the hearing loss problem
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Hello, I am Dr Harmeet Singh Pasricha I am an ENT specialist working in Gurgaon for last 20 years. Today I am going to speak on a topic called paediatric obstructive sleep apnea or paediatric OSA. This is a common condition in children which present as mouth breathing during sleep during children and there is snoring also during sleep. This happens usually in the age group of 4 to 8 years during sleep it happens because there is an abstraction in the nose patient cannot breathe through the nose so it starts breathing through the mouth. This happens because of increase in the size of the tonsils and adenoids, tonsils are a pair of lymphatic tissue in the throat and adenoid is similar tissue which is situated in the midline behind the nose in the throat. When these adenoid increase in size then there is obstruction of the nose from the back side so a child cannot breathe through the nose. So in advertly opens the mouth to breathe, there is lack of oxygenation in the body and patient is restless during sleep and because of continued mouth breathing because of the growing age in the children, there are changes which developed in the face and nose of the patient. In it the front teeth come out and the pallet which is the partition between the nose and the throat it goes up, the development of the nose is reduced it forms the pins nose and the bones of the cheek they elongate downwards and the patient develops and adenoid faces. So because of the growing age, this has to control and we have to manage the patient medically. Initially, if the medical management of the patient fails then we have to go in for surgery. The surgery involves removal of the tonsil that is tonsillectomy and removal of adenoids that is adenoidectomy. Now because of its a procedure is done under general anaesthesia and adenoidectomy is now usually these days done under direct vision using the endoscopic technique transnasal or transoral technique and it is done with powered instruments now usually using micro debrider or coblation and adenoidectomy is done, so which opens up the space of the nasofarings and patient can breathe through the nose and tonsils are also removed. So the airways opened up and once the patient breathes smoother nose properly, he gets proper oxygenation and the shape of the face can be prevented from distortion. Thank you, you can contact me at my clinic a Dr Pasricha’s ENT & Eye Care Centre, Old Jail Land Complex, Sohna Adda, Gurugram, or at Columbia Asia Hospital, Palam Vihar, Gurgaon or you can book an appointment on lybrate.com. Thank you.
Nose polyps are swellings on the fleshy part, that tends to develop in the lining of the nose and paranasal sinuses, which are the spaces filled by air and linked to the nasal cavity. These growths are non-cancerous in nature. Polyps can be of different sizes and could be either pink or yellowish-brown in colour with the shape of teardrops. Polyp may arise and grow in one or both the nostrils at the same time. They can grow in clusters.
Polyps which grow on to become large or those occurring in clusters can result in breathing problems and can hamper a patient’s ability to smell. Sinuses could get blocked and certain problems might emerge, like regular infections.
These nose polyps cause problems to around 40% of the general population and these are more common in among males, affecting them at least 2 times more than they do to women.
Individuals, who suffer from asthma, sinus infections on a frequent basis and allergies are more prone to developing this problem.
People suffer from chronic inflammation in the lining of the nasal passages and sinus. There could be obstruction in the nasal passages and sinuses as a result of clusters. Some people having small polys in their nose may not have any signs or symptoms. If the symptoms do arise, then they include:
- A patient might feel as if they always have cold, due to runny nose.
- There could be problem in breathing as the nose tends to remained stuffed or blocked, causing difficulty while sleeping.
- A feeling wherein mucus seemed to continuously run down the back of the throat.
- Snoring is also one of the symptoms.
- Itchy feeling around the eyes.
- Person with nose polyp can have obstructive sleep apnea in severe situations. This can be potentially serious, where a patien’s breathing stops while at sleep.
- There could be double vision, especially if a patient has cystic fibrosis.
The actual causes of nasal poly are not known but a number of these cases are linked to non-allergic asthma.
The exact mechanism of polyp formation remains unknown but medical researchers believe that they appear from swelling in the nose or sinuses.
Some are of the opinion that inflammation is caused due to accumulation of fluid in the space between the cells of the nose and sinuses that form mucus. Ultimately these heavy cells are pulled down by gravity, resulting in polyps.
Some of the commonly used treatment methods for nasal polyps are:
- Steroids – A doctor can prescribe nose drops or a steroid spray, which would help shrink the polyps by reducing the inflammation. This is common for those patients with few small polyps.
- Steroid Tablets – In severe cases, patient might be given steroid tablets, which could be taken on their own or through nasal spray. They are very effective in shrinking the polyps.
- Surgery – If the polyps are large in size, then surgery is the only option available or it could also be undertaken if the patient does not show improvements through other modes of treatment.
Consult your doctor:
Before deciding on undergoing a nose surgery, talk with your doctor regarding issues with your nose. Your doctor will check your problems and judge whether or not surgery is a feasible option. It is only with your doctor's confirmation that you should go for the surgery.
- The surgery is done either with local anesthesia (your nose and surrounding areas will be numbed) or general anesthesia (you will fall asleep).
- The surgeon will make incisions in your nostrils and base of the nose and alter the shape, structure and position of the cartilages in your nose for appealing shape and better functionality.
Recovery after the surgery:
You will be required to wear a nose splint. You can expect swelling around the eyes, which will begin to subside after the third day. Swelling in the nose will go away after six months. Therefore, do not expect to see your results immediately, final condition of your nose will be apparent after the recovery period is over.
You should avoid strenuous activity for 3 to 6 weeks. Do not smoke or drink alcohol during recovery. Smoking slows recovery time and alcohol reduces normal effects of drugs. Will you develop scars? As with all cosmetic procedures, rhinoplasty can leave scars.
Closed rhinoplasty: Incisions are made inside the nostrils and hence there is no scarring.
Open rhinoplasty: An additional cut is made along the columella and this may result in scarring. However, the position of the scar is such that it is almost unnoticeable.
Any surgical procedure has certain risks. These risks associated with nose surgery include:
- Adverse effect to anesthesia
- Unfavorable outcomes
- Visible scarring
- Difficulty breathing
- Chronic nosebleeds
- A perforated septum
- Burst blood vessels
- Nervous damage
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
An eardrum rupture or perforation is a little gap or tear in your eardrum and the tympanic membrane. The tympanic membrane is a thin tissue that partitions the canal of the middle ear and outer ear. This layer vibrates when sound waves enter your ear. The vibration proceeds through the bones of the center ear. Since this vibration allows you to listen, your hearing can be affected if your eardrum is harmed. A ruptured eardrum is additionally called a perforated eardrum. Permanent hearing loss could be an end result in some cases.
A ruptured eardrum, similar to thunder; can happen all of a sudden. You may feel a sharp pain in your ear, or an ear infection that you've had for some time all of a sudden leaves. In some cases, the person may not feel any signs of the rupture.
Some of the causes for such a perforation are:
- Infection: Ear infections are a major reason for eardrum rupture, particularly in children. Liquids tend to deposit behind the eardrum in such cases.
- Exercises: Exercising can bring about pressure changes in the ear and lead to a punctured eardrum. This is known as barotrauma, and takes place when the pressure outside the ear is not the same as the pressure inside the ear. Activities that can bring about barotrauma include scuba diving or flying on plane.
- Other activities: Wounds can likewise burst your eardrum. Any injury to the ear or side of the head can bring about a crack.
Diagnosis: Your specialist can use a few approaches to find out whether you have a ruptured eardrum:
- A liquid test in which your specialist tests liquids that might spill from your ear from infection.
- An otoscope exam in which a specific gadget with a light is used to investigate your ear channel
- An audiology exam, in which your specialist tests your listening to range and eardrum limit.
Treatment: The treatments are as follows:
- Patching: In the event that your ear does not recuperate by itself, your specialist may fix the eardrum. Fixing includes setting a sedated paper patch over the tear in the film.
- Antibiotics: Anti-toxins can clear up contaminations that may have prompted your eardrum break. They additionally shield you from growing new diseases from the aperture. Your specialist may endorse oral antibiotics or eardrops.
- Surgery: In uncommon cases, surgery might be required to fix the gap in the eardrum.
A cracked eardrum generally recuperates without any invasive measures. Many patients with cracked eardrums encounter just transitory listening problems.