Herpes simplex virus (HSV) can result in a genital infection known as Genital herpes. There is no treatment for this condition. However, the symptoms reduce with time. Appearance of lesions in the genital areas, pain, itching, and burning are the common symptoms of genital herpes. Although infrequent, some other indications are- fever, headache, discharge from the penis or vagina, muscle pain (myalgia),malaise and swollen and enlarged lymph nodes. Acyclovir, valacyclovir, and famciclovir are some drugs which reduce the outbreak of herpes.
HOW IS GENITAL HERPES DIAGNOSED?
Most people suffering from Genital Herpes are unaware of their condition.
What is herpes?
Caused by the herpes simplex virus, herpes is an infection which can be oral as well as genital. Oral herpes can cause cold sores around the mouth. Genital herpes can occur in the buttocks, or genitals. Other types of herpes infection can occur in other parts of the body. Two types of herpes simplex virus are:
• Cold sores caused by HSV type 1 virus
• Genital herpes caused by HSV type 2 virus
The herpes simplex virus is an extremely communicable virus that gets spread from person to person. Herpes simplex virus type 1 is caused from normal interactions. This includes eating from the same utensils, sharing lips products and also kissing. Herpes simplex virus type 2 is caused by coming into contact sexually.
Anyone can get affected by the herpes. Affecting both men and women, genital herpes is a sexually transmitted infection. Some of the herpes symptoms are as follows:
• Pain or itching in the area that starts off 5 days after coming in contact with an infected person
• Red or white blisters that appears after several days
• Ulcers when the blisters rupture
The location of the symptoms varies in males and females. The differences in herpes symptoms are as follows:
Women develops sores in-
• Vaginal area
• External genitals
Men develop sores on-
The signs and symptoms recur in some, while in others it is less frequent. Genital herpes is more common in women than men. Also having several sexual partners increases the risk of genital herpes. Few complications arising from genital herpes are:
• Contagious infections like AIDS increases with genital sores
• Newly born babies gets affected from their mothers during birth. This might cause brain damage, blindness and death of the newborn
• Genital herpes can also cause inflammation of the bladder and other associated problems
• Meningitis- the membranes around the head and the fluid surrounding the brain and the spinal cord also swells up due to a herpes sore
• Genital herpes can result in the inflammation of the lining of the rectum
A physical examination can detect if you have been affected by genital herpes. Complete herpes cure is not possible, however certain antiviral medicines help:
• Heal the sores
• Decrease the condition and reduce the chance of recurrence
• Reduce the chance of transmitting to another person
The herpes simplex virus do not go away forever and certain factors trigger the condition such as:
• Exposure to the sun
• Other kinds of illness
• Menstrual periods
Since it is incurable, certain preventions can be taken to help minimize the symptoms:
• Avoiding direct contact with another person
• Avoid sharing items with others that might spread the virus
• Avoid any kind of sexual activity
Lybrate gives you the chance to consult the top physicians in Jalandhar, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Mohali, Nagpur etc.