Dull skin lacks the radiance or glow which is often associated with young and healthy skin. This can result from poor blood circulation. Environmental factors such as chemicals and dust, damaged skin cells, unhealthy lifestyle and poor nutritional choices can also cause dull skin. Lack of water and dead skin cells add to the formation of a darker layer on the surface of the skin. To avoid dull skin it is advisable to avoid smoking, by maintaining a balanced diet and drinking plenty of water.
HOW IS DULL SKIN DIAGNOSED?
Moisturizing your skin and massaging it can help to keep your skin bright and luminous.
Have a lot of people come up to you and told you that your skin has started to look dull and worn out? Dull skin is never a good sign and means that it is time that you start looking after the health of your skin.
Dull skin may be caused due to a number of reasons:
• Lack of adequate number of hours of sleep that leads to dark circles, acne and wrinkles
• Both too much and lack of exposure to the rays of the sun can spell ruin for your skin
• High level of consumption of alcohol
• Too much of smoking is terrible for your skin
• Excessive daily consumption of beverages like coffee and tea that dehydrate the skin
• If you leave your makeup on for too long, it tends to make your skin lose its natural luster. Poor quality makeup is even worse and may cause a reaction that may lead to acne
• You don’t drink enough water
• Not eating a healthy and balanced diet
• Accumulation of acne on your facial pores
• Poor cleaning regime
First things first, you need to maintain a proper lifestyle along with proper eating habits. Yes, we are all exposed to a polluted environment and a harsh lifestyle, but it is our responsibility to try and maintain our skin in order to look good very single day. Instead of banking on chemicals to fix your dull skin, here are a few home remedies that are excellent and safe for your skin:
• Sugar might not be good for consumption, but it is extremely useful for your skin. Make a paste out of brown and white sugar and water and apply it to your face, rubbing and massaging gently. The coarse edges of the sugar crystals help to exfoliate your skin and clean out the dead cells and acne.
• Honey is one of the best anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory and skin lightening natural products out there. Little wonder that it is an essential ingredient in most facial cosmetics. Combine honey with oatmeal to create a face pack that can brighten up your dull skin
• For people with oily or dull skin, aloe vera is a god send. Drink it in pure juice form or apply it as a cooling face pack to close those oil pores. It has anti-septic, anti-bacterial and anti-ageing properties.
• Apricots are loaded with Vitamin A that can be a miracle for dull skin. Make a face pack with soaked and mashed apricots along with some olive oil and apply it to get glowing, supple skin.
These are just a few of the several ingredients that you can use to brighten up your skin. Nature has blessed us with such a wonderful bounty, and it is our responsibility to make full use of it. Always keep an eye on the state of your skin, for it can always be the first signifier of an underlying skin problem or some other medical condition.
Lybrate takes pride in forming a team of the best dermatologists in Thane, Thoothukudi, Vadodara, Visakhapatnam, Bangalore. You can connect with them at the click of a mouse button and even book appointments online. Subscribe with us and receive constant updates and tips to have a healthy and glowing skin.