Alcohol addiction is a condition where a person gets persistently dependent on alcohol. Alcohol addiction is also referred to as alcohol abuse. When a person gets addicted to alcohol, he/she develops a craving towards it as they become physically and emotionally dependent on it. Genetics, mental health, upbringing as a child and external factors like social environment are responsible for such. A person who uses alcohol to cope with his/her difficulties and drinks beyond moderate measure or social use can find himself walking in the path of an alcoholic. Increased tolerance, violent withdrawals, blackouts, and often drinking more than one intends to are some of the signs of alcohol addiction.
HOW IS ALCOHOL ADDICTION DIAGNOSED?
Around 88,000 deaths in a year are attributed to alcohol related causes.
Alcoholism also known as alcohol addiction is a serious medical condition in which you become addicted to drinks like beer, whiskey, rum, gin and various other substances to give you temporary relief from anxiety and social tensions. But it carries a range of side effects which can seriously harm your health, disrupt your family and financial life. Alcoholism is dangerous and can continue to cause you extreme harm even when you aware of it’s ill effects. Alcohol abuse also leads to drugs abuse which can shorten the number of days you live happily with your family and friends. Sometimes alcohol withdrawal becomes tough and you may need to consult a doctor to help you quit with proper medication and diagnosis.
The symptoms of alcohol abuse starts at an early age and is generally carried on to your late stages in life. It can continue for years and you may find it difficult to get rid of alcohol abuse later in life without the help of professional doctors. Alcoholism initially will make you socially active during your initial days as it commonly touted as a social lubricant and medically a central nervous system depressant. As a feature of alcoholism or initial alcoholism symptom you will feel a relief from anxiety and stress which will make you more addicted to it. You gradually progress from alcohol abuse and move on to drugs abuse which can seriously harm your health and make you very sick. It will also affect and strain your personal and professional life.
You are addicted to alcohol and may need medical help if you experience the following symptoms.
1. You find it difficult to stop or control the amount of alcohol which makes alcohol use difficult to maintain at regular permissible limit.
2. You give up on your other schedules and tasks to manage time to drink alcohol. This is dangerous and can strain your personal and family life. This condition of alcohol abuse often leads to liver and kidney problems.
3. Alcohol withdrawal becomes hard when you experience alcohol withdrawal symptoms like anxiety, sweating, and stomach pain.
4. It makes you abuse in spite of being well aware of its harmful side effects
5. You continue alcohol and drug abuse even if your family and doctor fail to persuade you to quit alcohol. Alcoholism symptoms continue to have effect on your anxiety and stressed personal life.
It must be noted that alcoholism is a chronic disease and it’s a long term disease. Alcoholism and drug abuse go together and can lead to serious harm if you are not able to quit in due course of time. It’s a disease with a course that can be predicted and given due medical attention to and even treated if you listen to your doctor. Lybrate offers you the best medical practitioners and psychologists related to alcohol and drugs abuse in , Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Delhi. Subscribe to Lybrate to know more about the alcohol detoxification and withdrawal.