Gastric acids are chemicals provided by your stomach to aid digestion. But the corrosive effects they induce are counteracted by the secretion of other chemicals. It is when the secretion of these chemicals is impaired that it leads to the damaged stomach lining, causing acidity, also known as acid reflux.
Acidity gives you tremendous discomfort. The stomach condition wherein acid levels of the gastric juices are much more than normal is known as hyperacidity. It causes uneasiness alongside symptoms like loss of appetite, heartburn, unexpected stomach pain, etc.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Acid Reflux
According to Ayurveda, the main cause of this condition is the worsening of the Pitta Dosha (the fire element) in your body. Let's have a look at some of the dos and don'ts of Ayurvedic remedies for hyperacidity or acid reflux problems. Here we discuss common ayurvedic remedies or medicines for acidity problems.
Cause of Hyper Acidity
- Having foods that don't match your constitution or which aren't supposed to be had like milk and salt or milk and fish.
- Extremely spicy and sour beverages and foods.
- White flour products.
- Products made from white sugar.
- Excessive intake of coffee and tea.
- Having food even though you may be suffering from indigestion.
- Controlling the urge to urinate or pass stool.
- Prolonged exposure to heat and the sun.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Hyperacidity ( Acidity)
Ayurveda promises some easy home treatments for acidity which are quite efficient in ensuring fast recovery for you. You can use any of these listed Ayurvedic treatments if you suffer from hyperacidity reflux.
- Indian gooseberry: This is an Indian fruit that is loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. This ayurvedic remedy helps in reducing pitta, which is fiery in nature as per Ayurveda and is characterized by excessive heat. Elevated pitta is responsible for acid reflux. Taking gooseberry is easy, as it can be eaten raw or taken in the form of juice. It can also be included in a few recipes.
- Cumin seeds: Get this Ayurveda treatment for acid reflux. You can reduce cumin seeds to their powder form, then you have to add half a spoon of it to water; presumably, one liter. Then, keep the solution boiling then filter it. You will have to make sure that you drink this solution instead of normal water. Take this water-based solution everyday till recovery. This is quite an effective remedy for hyperacidity.
- Mulethi (liquorice) and honey: You can reduce liquorice root to powder, then to half a spoon of this powder add little honey to form a paste. Lick to consume this paste twice daily after meals. Liquorice neutralizes the acids quickly to give relief.
- White pumpkin juice: Take white pumpkin peel and slice it and make a pulpy juice out of it. Half a cup twice daily gives fast recovery from gastritis and acidity. Alternatively, you may eat sweet made of pumpkin.
- Aniseed: Also known as saunf, you can chew them raw and slowly swallow with water for quick relief from acidity.
- Jeera: Jeera consumed with warm ghee and then mixed with rice tends to be very good for acidity as well. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ayurveda and ask a free question.
- Mint leaves: Mint reduces acid production and cools the burning sensation in your stomach. Chop and boil some mint leaves; then drink the cooled solution for relief.
- Tulsi: Tulsi is an ayurvedic remedy for hyperacidity, Tulsi boosts mucus production in the stomach and has antiulcer properties. To ease your discomfort, chew on 5-6 tulsi leaves.
- Cardamom: Elaichi, or cardamom, is a multi-purpose remedy. It stimulates digestion, reduces stomach spasms, soothes the stomach lining, and prevents excessive acid production. Just crush two pods of elaichi in boiling water and drink it for quick results.
- Cloves: Cloves boost saliva production, which helps in digestion and reducing the symptoms of acidity. For relieving acidity, just bite a piece of clove and keep it in your mouth. The oils released from the clove will reduce acidity within no time.
- Ginger: Use this ayurvedic cure for acid reflux, for that use ginger, it improves digestion and helps absorb and assimilate essential nutrients better. It also protects your stomach from ulcers by boosting mucus secretion, which reduces the damage to the stomach lining caused by acid.
- Buttermilk: You can take half a glass of buttermilk and add a pinch of each asafetida and turmeric to it. With it, also take care to add a tiny amount of fenugreek and drink it at night, to make the most of its benefits.
- Jaggery: This ayurvedic remedy for acid reflux, you can try for the boiled ash gourd with jaggery. This relieves the burning sensation in the stomach to a considerable extent.
- Bananas: In Ayurveda, potassium content in ripe bananas helps in eliminating sudden bouts of acidity. Bananas also aid in relieving constipation problems and cause a healthy bowel movement.
- Cold milk: The richness of calcium in milk aids in reducing acid problems and absorbing the acid which has already been produced. It helps in providing instant relief from the burning sensation owing to its coldness.
How Ayurveda Improve Digestive Power?
The exacerbated Pitta worsens your digestive fire, causing your food to be not properly digested as well as influence the production of ama (toxins). When ama builds up in your various digestive channels, it brings about the problem of hyperacidity reflux.
Ayurveda treatment focuses on calming down the irritated Pitta Dosha lead to acid reflux. For this, certain ayurvedic herbs are used to get rid of the toxins that block these channels. This automatically improves your digestive fire, bringing about better digestion.
Ayurveda Changes you're required to make?
To keep this problem at bay, there are certain lifestyle changes in Ayurveda you need to follow:
- To curb the consumption of acidic foods like garlic, onions, ginger, vinegar, and tomatoes
- Avoid having curd/yogurt at night
- Practice yoga and Pranayam like Bhujangasana, Vajrasana, Shitkari Pranayam and so on
- Avoid fermented as well as processed foods
- Avoid coffee, tea, alcoholic or carbonated beverages
Update From Lybrate: To keep your Gut Health on track and to avoid constipation and gastric troubles, we suggest you to Buy Gut Care products available on Lybrate at affordable prices.