Gaining Weight: Treatment, Procedure, Cost And Side Effects
Last Updated: Nov 24, 2021
What is Gaining Weight?
Weight gain primarily involves an augmentation of excess fluids, fat deposits and muscle mass due to intake of surplus foods more than the normal capacity of the body. It is a serious medical condition which can result to obesity. When the amount of energy intake supersedes the amount of energy spent, then the human body produces excess body fat that results in weight gain.
How do you gain weight quickly and safely?
Gaining Weight isn't the toughest task one can take on. Bringing about a few lifestyle changes can help you in your process of gaining healthy weight. Although, today medical stores have been flooded with a number of medicines or supplements to help you gain weight but the probabilities of their side effects are also high. Thanks to the various natural ways of gaining weight which can help you in gaining healthier weight.
- Increasing the number of food intakes in order to consume more calories than you burn. You can increase your meals up to 3 times a day.
- Drink smoothies and shakes. You must drink milk to quench the thirst to get in more high-quality protein and calories. Don't drink water before meals. This can fill your stomach and make it harder to get in enough calories.
- Add more calories to your food such as cheese, scrambled eggs, and milk.
- Eat nutrient-rich foods such as lean proteins, pasta, fruits, seeds, and nuts
- You should also lift heavy weights and improve your strength that would help also you increase your stamina.
Foods to gain weight quickly?
Here are some foods which will help you to gain weight faster. However, one must consult a doctor or a dietician before including such foods in his/her weight gain diet. The following foods not only increase muscle, but also improve the overall health condition.
- Red Meat: Red meat contains both protein and fat, which promote weight gain and play a significant role in boosting muscle mass. Red meat is also healthier for the heart.
- Whole-grain Bread: Whole-grain Breads have complex carbohydrates and seeds that can promote weight gain, and provide some added benefits.
- Salmon: Salmon is a good choice for those looking to gain weight as it is rich in healthy fats and contains nutrients, including omega-3 and protein.
- Avocados: Avocados have a large number of calories and fat, as well as some vitamins and minerals.
- Eggs: Eggs contain protein, healthy fat, and other nutrients.
- Cereal Bars: Cereal bars are a good source of vitamin and mineral content of cereal. One can take bars that contain whole grains, nuts, and fruits.
- Yogurt: Full-fat yogurt is a good choice for protein and nutrients. You can add your yogurt with fruit or nuts.
Are there any side effects?
Gaining body mass might give rise to a number of health problems. If you are overweight there are possibilities of developing certain diseases such as depression, obesity, diabetes and might also have an adverse effect on the heart as well.
What are the post-treatment guidelines?
There are three simple ways that can counter weight gain. Mentioned below are some of the post treatment guidelines.
Eat every one or two hours: Intake of protein rich foods like energy bars, eggs, butter and cheese in moderate amount will help to maintain your body weight.
Eat high protein foods: Try to eat foods that are high in protein and low in fat.
What can cause someone to become underweight?
Being underweight is a condition in the human body that can be due to various reasons, and, in turn, can affect the body negatively in several ways. Underweight could be a result of a medical condition and also due to bad daily lifestyle habits. In order to get rid of it, one must know the proper cause of being underweight. Unhealthy weight loss can be caused by several situations such as:
An irregular and disarranged diet: A disordered eating habit can have serious effects on your health.
- Thyroid: An overactive thyroid can boost metabolism and, subsequently, cause unhealthy weight loss.
- Celiac disease: It is another common cause of weight loss.
- Diabetes: An untreated and uncontrolled Diabetes may lead someone to become severely underweight
- Cancerous tumors: Tumors of cancer can usually cause someone to lose a lot of weight.
- Infections: Certain infections can lead to a drastic weight loss.
Why being underweight isn't good for you?
According to medical science, being underweight may invite numerous health problems. From a weak immune system to fertility problem, being underweight is a condition which is considered as an open door to various serious and non-serious health situations. Nutritional deficiencies: Being underweight can lead to you lacking nutrients that the human body requires to work properly. For instance, Calcium is essential for the maintenance of strong and healthy bones.
Weakened immune system: A human body, weakened immune system, is more likely to catch a cold, the flu or other infections. Fertility problems: Women who are underweight can have problems with their periods.
- Healthy Lifestyle: Nutrition and healthy eating- Mayo Clinic [Internet]. mayoclinic.org 2017 [Cited 30 July 2019]. Available from:
- Healthy Ways to Gain Weight If You’re Underweight- American Academy of Family Physicians [Internet]. familydoctor.org 2017 [Cited 30 July 2019]. Available from:
Table of content
15+ Years of Surgical Experience
All Insurances Accepted
EMI Facility Available at 0% Rate
Find Dietitian/Nutritionist near me
Ask a free question
Get FREE multiple opinions from Doctors