Erectile dysfunction can be quite a depressing and stressful problem. It can jeopardize the sexual life of a person. In recent times, the problem has been on an exponential rise. As per a survey, 1 in every 1000 men suffers from erectile dysfunction. To top it, some men, out of embarrassment, delay the treatment and medications.
In Erectile Dysfunction, a person is unable to maintain an erection necessary for a sexual intercourse. A man's confidence and self-esteem often take a beating in such cases. In some cases, the affected person completely detaches himself from the outside world. The erectile dysfunction in men can be due to lifestyle habits, psychological problems, injury, and diseases, such as;
- Stress and anxiety.
- Hormonal imbalance.
- Medical conditions, which include, diabetes, cardiovascular problems, hypercholesterolemia, and hypertension.
- Treatment for prostate cancer can result in erectile dysfunction.
- Older men are more likely (not always) to suffer from erectile dysfunction.
- Unhealthy lifestyle habits (drinking, smoking, and drug abuse).
- Peyronie's disease.
- Parkinson's disease.
- Injury to the pelvic area.
Symptoms of erectile dysfunction:
A person with erectile dysfunction may exhibit one or more of the following symptoms:
- A person with erectile dysfunction may have difficulties in getting an erection.
- There is a problem in holding on to the erection for a longer duration of time.
- Erectile dysfunction can also affect a person's sexual desire (low libido).
Diagnosis and Treatment:
As serious as it may appear, there is nothing to press the panic button. The problem is temporary. With timely diagnosis and treatment, erectile dysfunction can be easily managed and treated. Diagnosis of erectile dysfunction include;
- Blood and urine tests play a pivotal in identifying the root cause (diabetes, cardiac problems, hormonal imbalance or any other medical conditions) of the erectile dysfunction.
- Physical examination.
- An Ultrasound.
- Medications like Stendra (Avanafil), Viagra (Sildenafil), and Cialis (Tadalafil) can prove to be helpful in treating erectile dysfunction. The medications magnify the influence of nitric oxide (nitric oxide helps in relaxing the penis), thus enabling a person to get an erection on being sexually aroused.
- Low levels of the testosterone hormone interfere with and adversely affects erectile dysfunction. In such cases, the doctor may recommend testosterone replacement.
- Alprostadil Injection when injected helps in increased blood flow to the penis (by muscular relaxation of the penis), thus helping a person to get an erection.
- Penile implants are also helpful in case of erectile dysfunction.
- Many men with erectile dysfunction have benefitted immensely from counseling and sex therapy.
A person also needs to
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Exercise regularly.
- Indulge in limited alcohol consumption and smoking.
- Refrain from drug abuse.
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- Seek expert help in case of severe depression, stress, and anxiety.
- Do not compromise with your sleep.
- If need be, discuss the problem with your partner. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Sexologist.