Makhana, also well known as 'fox nut' or 'lotus seed', has proven to be a powerhouse of healthy nutrients like vitamins, minerals and fibers; they are loaded with medical properties, are absolutely healthy for diabetic patients and those who have a history of high blood pressure.
Makhanas are the new popcorn! As they are crunchy, tasty, easy to prepare, economical and healthy.
When we think of a light evening snack, we often think of a packet of fried chips or Kurkure. However, it is high time that we think of something healthier, as we are already aware of the ill-effects of processed food all around us. So, ditch the unhealthy snack & the dangerous processed food and snack on makhanas as they are free of trans fat and are light on your tummy.
Below are 12 health benefits of makhana you should know:
- They are low in calories, fat, and sodium. Therefore are the perfect in-between-meal snack. They also make you feel full, so further cravings for binge eating are reduced.
- Their low sodium and high potassium and magnesium content make them very useful for people with high blood pressure.
- The high calcium content is good for bone and teeth health.
- Their sugar content is low, and so are highly useful for diabetics, who have the urge to eat at short intervals.
- The fox nuts have astringent properties and are useful for kidney ailments.
- People looking for weight loss should try makhana, as they are very low in calories but can fill the stomach. This helps control hunger pangs and intake of high-calorie foods.
- It is rich in fiber and so can be used in weight loss as well as for digestion problems like constipation.
- Fox nuts are rich in antioxidants and therefore useful in fighting ageing and chronic inflammation and stress in the body.
- In both men and women, makhana is believed to improve fertility rates. The sperm quality and quantity is believed to improve when makhana is consumed.
- Given its multiple benefits, especially calcium and iron, pregnant women are given makhana. It also helps prevent hypertension and diabetes in a pregnant woman.
- Fox nuts are believed to help get rid of insomnia.
- If addiction to coffee is your problem, try some fox nuts to get rid of the addiction.
Methods of use:
- The seeds are actually tasteless and so whether it is salt or sweet, they take on the added taste.
- Roast the seeds with a little ghee on a light flame. Sprinkle salt, and the yummy snack is good to go.
- Other spices like cinnamon or oregano can be added to suit one’s taste.
- They can also be used in sweet dishes like kheer and other desserts.
If you are looking for a super snack that is highly healthy, economical and has no hazards on your health, go ahead and grab a bowl of fox nuts!
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!