Eating a well-balanced diet is the first step towards staying healthy. Among the thousands of healthy foods that our planet provides, the majority contain at least several of the nutrients our bodies need but there are some that can be included in the list of World's Healthiest Foods. Here are the 10 most nutritious foods in the world.
- Salmon: Salmon is a fatty fish that contains plenty of Omega-3 fatty acids along with other nutrients. These are essential for the optimal functioning of the body. It also lowers the risk of dementia, heart disease, depression and a host of other common diseases.
- Kale: Kale is a leafy green vegetable that is rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals and a number of other antioxidants. It has a very low calorific value and is considered to be even healthier than spinach. The Isothiocyanates and other bioactive compounds in kale can protect a person from some types of cancer.
- Garlic: Along with vitamin and minerals such as calcium, copper, potassium and manganese, garlic also contains Alicen. This has the ability to lower blood pressure, cholesterol and can fight cancer. Garlic also contains pathogens that help it fight against bacteria and fungi.
- Shellfish: Shellfish includes foods such as prawns, clams, oysters etc. they are loaded with vitamin B12, Vitamin C, iron, zinc, selenium, and copper amongst other nutrients. They are considered the most nutritious organism in the sea.
- Blueberries: Blueberries contain flavonoids known as anthocyanins. These have the ability to protect against cancer, heart disease, memory loss and age-related blindness. The epicatechins in blueberry juice also lower the risk of urinary tract infections.
- Broccoli: Sulpher compounds such as sulforaphane can fight against certain types of cancer such as lung cancer, stomach cancer, and breast cancer. These compounds pass a signal to genes to increase production of enzymes that detoxify the body. It also contains beta-carotene that safeguards your brain cells and protects your eyes from cataracts.
- Chocolate: Dark chocolate is considered an indulgence but is in fact very good for your health. The flavonoids and anti-oxidants contained in it help lower blood pressure, keep blood clots from developing and slow down the cholesterol oxidation process. It also has the ability to lower insulin resistance.
- Flax seeds: Flax seeds are rich in fiber and lignans. These compounds block estrogen receptors and help reduce the risk of cancer caused by hormone fluctuations. They also contain alpha-linolenic acids that are used by the body to produce omega 3 fatty acids.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is a great source of calcium and probiotics. This helps keep the gut healthy and in turn boosts the immune system. It also lowers the risk of urinary tract infections, yeast infection, and ulcers.
- Avocadoes: Avocadoes can help lower cholesterol and are effective ways to reduce the risk of heart diseases. they are also rich in antioxidants such as glutathione.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!