Get help from best doctors, anonymously
Common Specialities
Common Issues
Common Treatments

Hi, actually the question is for help/medical advice for my wife who is now completing 50 yrs and is under phase of stoppage of menstrual cycle (i think it is called menopause) and is now having some problems of joint pains particularly in knees and also swelling in legs particularly on upper portion of both feets. Can you please advice tests and medical treatment she should excercise. Weight increase is the normal part of this phase? please advice and reply asap.

1 Doctor Answered
Hi thanks for your query and welcome to lybrate. Yes if she is around 50 years then from an orthopedic point of view you need to get her: 1) serum calcium and vitamin d levels 2) dexa scan to estimate bone density 3) swelling is not usually an orthopaedic issue unless there is a history of any injury which has led to it but thyroid profile is important to rule out as hypothyroidism can lead to swelling there are other tests to see what can be the cause of swelling but that is best advised by a general physician after clinical examination. Do not hesitate to contact me if you need any further assistance. Thanks & regards Dr Akshay Kumar Saxena
3 people found this helpful
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.