Get help from best doctors, anonymously
Common Specialities
Common Issues
Common Treatments

I am 47 seven years old male. I was using gutkha since 15 years, I left gutkha from 24. 02. 2015 completely. Now I am able to open my mouth only 1/2 inch wide. Please suggest.

13 Doctors Answered
This condition is known as oral submucous fibrosis. Thats good if u have left the habit completely. It can be treated with medication but it will take time. Do feel difficulty in taking spicy food as well. Consult me I ll prescribe you the medication.
You are suffering from a condition called oral sub mucous fibrosis. Please consult me privately.
Hello, you used to use beetle nut (supari)along with it? It causes fibrosis of mucosa so it causes restricted mouth opening.
2 people found this helpful
Your complaint is suggestive of a condition called oral submucous fibrosis. The good thing you have done is quit your habit. But, you will need to initiate treatment for this condition at the earliest. Please do not ignore as it might progress to something even more serious.
The condition you are having is called orla submucous fibrosis. In this the mouth opening is reduced drastically and it is associated with gutkha chewing. Start taking fibro-sm capsules twice daily for 3 months and also start doing exercises for mouth opening.
This is due to constant gutka chewing, it is god that you have left gutka at all, now follow the treatment regularly, you are advised to do mouth opening exercise with muscle relaxant and warm saline gargles, and get oral prophylaxis done and use regular mouth wash and regular mouth opening exercise, observe for four weeks and, there wil be improvement, and than we will proceed with further treatment which may be inj xylocaine with hydro cortisone on inner side of cheek on hardened muscles on alternate days for 2 weeks. It will definitely improve. Discuus after a month again.
1 person found this helpful
You have probably developed a condition known as oral submucous fibrosis due to long term gutkha usage. Did you also use supari (betelnut)? have you recently noted some increased difficulty with spicy food? You need to see an oral & maxillofacial surgeon to confirm the diagnosis and suggest appropriate treatment.
As per your complain it seems to condition of oral fibrosis so kindly consult your dentist for proper care n increase your mouth opening with some medicinal and exercise therapy.
First of all thanks for your good decision y need proper checkup &tt 50% yr tt start next 50% done by your doctor.
There are options to increase the mouth opening. Consult a oral surgeon.
This is very common with such oral habits. There are certain medicines and exercises which help resolving your problem. And also at times certain injections also give you relief. Please get it checked.
2 people found this helpful
Hello, it is good for you that u left tobacco. Visit a dental clinic and do the advised exercises. Add green vegetables and fruits in diet. Take multivitamins daily. Thank you Dr jagrati
You seem to be suffering from osmf. Visit a dentist & get the exact situation evaluated. Buy if the opening is only 1/2 inch as you described, a surgical intervention is necessary.
2 people found this helpful
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.