Get help from best doctors, anonymously
Common Specialities
Common Issues
Common Treatments

Any remedy for stammering? I am 24 years old. It is not by birth. I get stuck when I tend to speak in public.

4 Doctors Answered
Yes. You can definitely overcome it by speech therapy.
Hi lybrate-user. Speech therapy is the only remedy for Stammering. Get a Fluency test done with a Speech therapist. Based on the test results, we can guide you on how to work towards you talking confidently even in public by having a full control of your speech. Few exercises and sessions are enough to bring a lot of change. All the best!
You need to overcome your fear and with few techniques you can improve your speech fluency. Consult Speech Therapist for detailed fluency assessment and Management.
Hello lybrate-user Try following:- Breathing and relaxing exercises Speaking about a topic of your choice at a distance and loudly in front of your friends or family but in public (park/ restaurant/ classroom) Initiating conversations in a large group with familiar people. There are more activities that will help your public fear. However the practice of relaxing your facial muscles and body before representing in front of public is very important. Kindly see a speech therapist for detailed step by step guidance. Thanks!
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.