Upper back pain
is fairly common now a days.
Reasons are following-
1. Straining your back muscles constantly in one position (most of the time in awkward position without realising it)
2. Not taking breaks to rest your back muscles
3. Deficiencies of vitamins like vitamin D3, B12 etc
4. Not keeping yourself hydrated
5. Lack of work out for your back muscles specially streching.
6. Adjusting proper position of work station (you did not mention your job, so I can not tell you the specifics)
The problem mentioned above are self explanatory about the treatment.
If the condition does not improve after correcting above means then you may need to go for the MRI.
Hope this helps.