For how long is Tetanus vaccine effective? I had got one shot of tetanus exactly a year back (May 2016) and yesterday I got a small cut on my finger from a metallic object. I want to know that should I go for tetanus shot again or there is no requirement? Kindly help.

lybrate-user You have taken inj TT year back. There is no long lasting immuniy after single dose, You have to take at least 3 inj for long lasting immunity, you take now 1st dose of T T, then repeat after 1 month or 1.5 month 2nd dose, then you take 3rd dose of Inj T T 6 month after then you can achieve longer immunity, Mechanism of antibody formation, immunoglobulin produce in first dose are sufficient but few in no. When you take booster dose, lot of antibody or immunoglobulin are produce then third dose ample antibodies are form. It counteract tetanus, in the beginning after vaccin or tetanus bacilli produce immunoglobulin I e G which can cross the blood brain barrier. Immunoglobulin m are formed after 3-4 days but it cannot cross blood brain barrier. Tetanus can develop. So it is advised to take at 2 injection, 3rd injection will be better long immunity.
vaccine is effective for 5 years.No need to take another vaccine within 5 years unless there is a major injury