Qutipin 25 MG Tablet
Qutipin 25 MG Tablet is an atypical antipsychotic drug that is used for treating certain mental conditions like schizophrenia and mania or depression that is related to bipolar disorder. The drug restores the balance of neurotransmitters in the brain. It improves your mood, appetite, concentration, sleep as well as your energy levels.
Hallucinations and sudden mood swings can also be decreased with the help of this medication. There are two versions of Qutipin 25 MG Tablet, one is the immediate-release version, where it gets released in the blood stream immediately and the other is the extended-release version, where it releases gradually into the blood.
Belonging to the drug group atypical antipsychotics, Qutipin 25 MG Tablet is used for treating symptoms related to bipolar disorder, schizophrenia or depression. This medication works by restoring the neurotransmitters’ balance in the brain. It helps to decrease hallucinations in patients who are suffering from these psychotic disorders, and also improves concentration. The medicine is also effective in preventing drastic mood swings.
Qutipin 25 MG Tablet is available in tablet form and has to be taken orally. It comes in two versions, one that releases into your blood stream immediately (immediate release) and the other that gets released gradually over time in the blood stream (extended release).
Before you are prescribed Qutipin 25 MG Tablet, your doctor should be informed about your past health conditions. If you have had problems related to eye cataracts, thyroid problems, low count of white blood cells, sleep apnea, enlarged prostate, diabetes, cholesterol and high blood pressure, ensure that your doctor is informed about it. The dosage depends on your age, your present medical condition and it's severity, and how your body reacts after the first dose.
The possible side effects of Qutipin 25 MG Tablet are drowsiness, constipation, tiredness, blurred vision, increase in weight and dry mouth. In the initial days after you start taking the medicine, you may also feel light-headed or dizzy. These symptoms are generally mild in nature and disappear in a few days, but you can seek medical advice if it is bothersome.
Qutipin 25 MG Tablet may have some serious side effects too, for which you must stop taking the medication at once and consult your doctor immediately. They are:
- Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome, the symptoms of which are excessive sweating, high fever, severe confusion, dark urine, stiffness of the muscles and change in blood pressure, heart beat or breathing
- Tardive dyskinesia; where you can develop uncontrolled or unusual movements, especially of your lips, mouth, face, tongue, arms and legs
- Tremors or seizures
- Mood changes, feeling depressed, anxious or having suicidal tendencies
- Trouble urinating
- Yellowing of the eyes or the skin
- Milky discharge from breast in women, breast enlargement in both women and men
- Low white blood cell count
- An allergic reaction
As Qutipin 25 MG Tablet can cause dizziness and drowsiness, it is advised to avoid alcohol while you are taking this medicine, as it can worsen your condition. Ensure that you rise slowly if you are sitting or lying down to prevent falling down. Also, stay away from activities that may require your full concentration in the first few days of taking the medication.
How long is the duration of effect?
Effect of Qutipin 25mg lasts for an approximate period of 18-21 hours.
What is the onset of action?
Onset of action of Qutipin begins 1.5 hours after consumption.
Are there any pregnancy warnings?
Use of Qutipin 25mg tablet is not recommended for pregnant women. One should take it only if it is necessary and under supervision of the doctor.
Is it habit forming?
No habit forming tendencies have been noticed in Qutipin 25mg tablet.
Are there any breast-feeding warnings?
It is not known if the medicine effects breast milk. Lactating women should search for other alternatives in consultation with the doctor.
Is It safe with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol is not advised when one is on Qutipin 25mg tablet as it causes drowsiness and interacts negatively with alcohol.
Is it safe to drive while on this medicine?
It is not safe to drive while on Qutipin 25mg tablet as it causes drowsiness and dizziness as possible side effects.
Does this affect kidney function?This medicine is probably safe to be used in patients with kidney disease. Adjustment of dose might not be needed. Kindly consult your doctor before taking it.
Does this affect liver function?Caution must be taken while using this medicine in patients with kidney disease. Adjustment of dose might be needed. Kindly consult your doctor before taking it.
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength and form as Qutipin 25 MG Tablet , and hence can be used as its substitute.
Are there any missed dose instructions?
One should consume the medicine immediately after missing a dose. However, it should not coincide with the timing of the next consecutive dose.
Are there any overdose instructions?
Do not take more than the prescribed dose as overdosing of Qutipin 25mg may cause poisoning and negative side effects.
The medicine belongs to the class atypical antipsychotics. It works by binding to the D2 and serotonin (5HT2) receptors and inhibits the release of chemical substances thus helps in reducing the symptoms.
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you"re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Alcohol
Interaction with Medicine
- May enhance effects of antihypertensive agents; may antagonize levodopa, dopamine agonists.
- Increased clearance when given with phenytoin (5-fold) or thioridazine (65%), caution with other liver enzyme inducers (carbamazepine, barbiturates, rifampin, glucocorticoids).
- Although data is not yet available, caution is advised with inhibitors of CYP3A4 (eg, ketoconazole, erythromycin).
- Cimetidine in combination with quetiapine decreased quetiapine's clearance by 20%.
- Lorazepam's clearance is reduced 20% in the presence of quetiapine.
Interaction with Disease
- Has been noted to cause cataracts in animals, although QTP-associated cataracts have not been observed in humans; lens examination on initiation of therapy and every 6 months is recommended.
- May be sedating, use with caution in disorders where CNS depression is a feature.
- Use with caution in Parkinson's disease.
- Caution in patients with hemodynamic instability; prior myocardial infarction or ischemic heart disease; hypercholesterolemia; thyroid disease; predisposition to seizures; subcortical brain damage; hepatic impairment; severe cardiac, renal, or respiratory disease.
- May alter temperature regulation or mask toxicity of other drugs due to antiemetic effects.
- May alter cardiac conduction - life-threatening arrhythmias have occurred with therapeutic doses of antipsychotics.
- May cause orthostatic hypotension - use with caution in patients at risk of this effect or those who would tolerate transient hypotensive episodes (cerebrovascular disease, cardiovascular disease, or other medications which may predispose).
- Esophageal dysmotility and aspiration have been associated with antipsychotic use - use with caution in patients at risk of pneumonia (ie, Alzheimer's disease).
Ques: What is Qutipin 25 mg tablet?
Ques: What is the use of Qutipin 25 mg tablet?
Ques: What are the side effects of Qutipin 25 mg tablet?
Ques: Can Qutipin 25 Tablet be used for bipolar disorder and schizophrenia?
Ques: How long do I need to use qutipin 25 mg tablet before I see improvement of my conditions?
Ques: At what frequency do I need to use qutipin 25 mg tablet ?
Ques: Should I use qutipin 25 mg tablet empty stomach, before food or after food?
Ques: What are the instructions for storage and disposal of qutipin 25 mg tablet?
Quetiapine- Drug Information Portal [Internet]. druginfo.nlm.nih.gov. 2019 [Cited 26 April 2019]. Available from:https://druginfo.nlm.nih.gov/drugportal/name/quetiapine
Quetiapine 25 mg film-coated tablets- EMC [Internet]. www.medicines.org.uk. 2019 [Cited 26 April 2019]. Available from:https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/4170/smpc
Important Information About Quetiapine- Drugs Bank [Internet]. drugsbanks.com. 2017 [Cited 26 April 2019]. Available from:https://www.drugsbanks.com/important-information-about-quetiapine/
Lybrate is a medium to provide our audience with the common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. Even if there is no mention of a warning for any drug or combination, it never means that we are claiming that the drug or combination is safe for consumption without any proper consultation with an expert.
Lybrate does not take responsibility for any aspect of medicines or treatments. If you have any doubts about your medication, we strongly recommend you to see a doctor immediately.