Near new RTO office, Prashant Nagar B, Opp. BOSCH Car Service Center, Behind Keerti Nursing College, Outer Ring Road,
Gulbarga [Clinic Timings:10:30am-2:30pm & 5:30pm-8:30pm] [wednesday & thursday -holiday]
Ideally you should get your period within a span of 24 to 29 days. But every girl’s period date and time depends on her body cycle. A missed period or a delayed period is not quite uncommon and may occur from time to time. Some women’s period maybe quite punctual while in case of others it may irregular. Irregular periods may occur because of the following reasons-
• Quite a bit of weight gain or loss
• Over exercise
• Lack of a healthy diet
• Excessive smoking
• Excessive drug use
• Excessive intake of caffeine
• Excessive consumption of alcohol
• High levels of stress and anxiety
• Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
• Uterine abnormalities
• Consumption of certain medication
Your period cycle may be considered irregular in case of the following 3 occurrences-
1. The span between each of your periods begin to vary
2. You start losing either very less or great amounts of blood during menstruation
3. You experience a significant variation in the number of days the bleeding continues
Generally no specific treatment is recommended for an irregular menstrual cycle which occurs because of the onset of puberty or menopause, unless your period pain is very intense and hinders day to day activities. But if you are suffering from irregular periods because of other health factors, certain kinds of treatment may be suggested by your doctor-
• Diagnosing the underlying cause and treating it- initially your doctor will recommend blood tests and check your ovulation period to determine any change in hormone levels and check whether your ovaries are functioning properly. If you have PCOS or hypothyroidism, as a result of which your menstrual cycle is irregular, you doctor may recommend certain lifestyle changes and prescribe birth control pills, to balance your hormone levels.
• Changing contraceptive pill- if you face an irregular menstrual cycle after using birth control for 3 months, your doctor may change the birth control to stop the delayed period.
• Lifestyle changes- excessive weight gain or loss does cause irregular periods. Thus if you are underweight, less exercise and more healthy consumption of food will helps regulate your period cycle. In case you are overweight, more exercise and healthy eating will helps regulate your period cycle.
• Hormone therapy- irregular menstrual cycle may be the result of hormonal imbalance or lack of certain hormones. Birth control pills or a medicine called progestin are generally prescribed to control hormone levels in the body.
• Surgery- on various occasions, structural defects in the uterus may lead to irregular period cycle. Surgery may be recommended to correct such a defect.
You may miss a period because you are pregnant, thus before you visit a doctor ensure you do a home pregnancy test, to check if you have conceived.
Lybrate offers you a great opportunity to get in touch with the best gynaecologists either online or through an appointment. Through Lybrate you can easily interact with the top doctors all across India. Locate the best gynaecologists and general physicians in Vadodara, Visakhapatnam, Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad etc. Lybrate.com offers great and easy online service, to answer all you medical queries. Subscribe to Lybrate.com and get information on period cycle.