A problem in gastric mucosa resulting in acid secretion leads to the disturbance in stomach or esophagus. This is known as Gastric trouble. A person having gastric trouble also faces problems like indigestion, heartburn, bloating, flatulence and distention. It is not fatal and can easily be cured.
HOW IS GASTRIC TROUBLE DIAGNOSED?
Avoiding large, late night meals help in improving the condition.
Gastric problems typically occur in the esophagus and/or stomach. Gastric troubles are usually triggered by a disturbance of the gastric mucosa, the soft membranous lining of the stomach which contains the glands and acid pits. This in turn secretes acid which comes into contact with the nerve endings thus inducing stomach pain and discomfort.
The inflammation of the gastric mucosa may be due to the following reasons:
• Intake of unhealthy food.
• Consumption of alcohol.
• Stressful lifestyle.
• Drug abuse.
• Intake of medicines like aspirin, corticosteroids, erythromycin or beta- blockers
The organic causes of stomach pain may include:
• Peptic ulcer disease in which a defect is detected either in the innermost layer of the stomach or duodenum wall, where the small intestine is joined to the stomach. It is mostly caused by Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection, the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin and other painkillers.
• Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GERD), a chronic condition in which the bile juice flows back from the stomach into the oesophagus (food pipe) thus irritating its lining.
• Gallstone disease which though generally symptomless, can lead to severe stomach pain because of inflammation of the gallbladder or a blockage of the bile duct.
• Cancer of the stomach, liver or pancreas can also cause severe stomach pain.
If no organic cause like ulcers, cancer or inflammation can be detected as a cause for the stomach pain, non-ulcer dyspepsia is diagnosed. Also known as functional dyspepsia, it causes recurrent pain in the upper abdomen.
The symptoms of gastric problems include:
• Stomach Pain
• Loss of appetite
• Gas trouble
• Heart burn
Gas trouble is a fairly common symptom which is not very embarrassing in itself unless accompanied by flatulence which refers to the expulsion of gas through the rectum. The gas passed often has an unpleasant odor.
Bloating refers to any kind of abnormal abdominal swelling, or increase of pressure on the abdomen. It is sometimes accompanied by increased stomach growling, or in more serious cases, a complete lack of it. Bloating can be caused by unhealthy diet, irritable bowel syndrome, lactose intolerance, and/or constipation.
Gastric problems and stomach pain can be easily treated at home. The commonest home remedies for gastric are given below:
• Squeeze the juice of a lemon and mix it with a tablespoon of baking soda and a cup of water
• Grind turmeric leaves and drink it along with a glass of milk to alleviate the stomach pain
• Drink plenty of water to reduce the incidence of flatulence
• Chew on a piece of ginger with your food to prevent gas trouble
• Add three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to warm water. Drink it when the water cools for instant relief
Doctors prescribe low doses of anti-depressants and anxiety-relieving medicines if the gastric problem is a result of stress. Medicines that reduce the quantity of the acid produced in the stomach are also administered. In addition, it is advisable to reduce the consumption of tobacco, alcohol and spicy foods entirely, eating small meals at regular intervals and reducing stress to prevent gastric problems. In addition, patients may also benefit from regular exercise including yogasan like vajrasana and pranayama.
If you are suffering from stomach pain, lose no time. Consult the best gastroenterologist in the city directly. Lybrate offers you the chance to ask your questions directly to the top doctors in the field at the click of a button. You may also book an appointment for consultation online. Search for the best general physicians and gastroenterologists in Ahmedabad, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Delhi etc. Subscribe to Lybrate.com for more details on gastric problem, stomach pain, flatulence, bloating and home remedies for gastric problems.