Do you know that the future health of your baby is decided before you even conceive? Your preconception health is very important. Planning a baby is a demanding task, but if you plan it well you will have a healthier and easier pregnancy.
These are a few tips which can do wonders
1. Relaxation at Work and Household Backup - Plan out your work schedule. You might need to change your work hours or may be change the job profile. You will also need someone to help you out with the household chores around this time.
2. Finances - Get your finances settled and insurance plan changed accordingly.
3. Lifestyle Modification - Eat healthy. Stop the intake of alcohol and stop smoking. Set aside a time for regular exercise if possible. Try to lose that extra flab and stay very active.
4. Reduce Stress - Create a support system for yourself. Engage in activities that uplift your mood.
5. Take Folic Acid - Take 400 mcg of folic acid tablet daily. It helps prevent birth defects of brain and spine in the baby.
6. Avoid Exposure to - Harmful chemicals, metals and toxic substances at workplace and home. Protect yourself from infections. Stay away from cats.
7. Up-to-Date Vaccination - Make sure your vaccination is complete. Vaccination against rubella and flu are very important. It is also important to maintain a gap of at least one month between your rubella shot and pregnancy planning.
8. Optimize your Medical Condition - If you have Hypertension, Diabetes, Asthma, Epilepsy or any other medical condition you must take complete advice from the physician. Blood pressure and sugar levels have to be under full control. The type and dose of the drug may need modifications.
9. Check Family History - Ask your parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, aunts and cousins about any health problems in the family like genetic problems, mental retardation or malformations in babies. This can help your Gynaecologist to determine which problems to look for and how to prevent it.
10. Visit your Doctor - Carry a record of your medical conditions, family history and a checklist of your queries. Get tested for Li Blood Group, Thalassemia, HIV, Thyroid Levels, and Blood Sugars.
To view more such exclusive content
Download Lybrate App Now
Get Add On ₹100 to consult India's best doctors