Last Updated: May 07, 2023
There has been an intense debate, which is in the loop for years and has been raging back and forth regarding the deficiencies of a vegetarian diet versus non-vegetarian perils This heated debate is both accurate as well as unfounded. Probably, that’s the entire reason it is still a debate. In fact, if you look into the diet of both groups, you will be able to identify the fact that, there is a space for healthy living in both. Here we compare the vegetarian and non-vegetarian diet benefits and some cons if you not these food items in your diet.
Vegetarian vs Non-Vegetarian Diet
Vegetarian Diet Benefits: Vegetarian Diet Benefits: In a vegetarian diet, the food intake of a person is confined to a large variety of foods derived from plants along with milk and dairy. And, any form of meat and products derived from animals are completely avoided.
Pros of a Vegetarian Diet
- Vegetarians have been noted to consume a lesser amount of proteins, but they do not suffer from problems related to a high protein diet, such as osteoporosis (characterized by brittle and weak bones) and kidney failure.
- The diet includes a high level of antioxidants such as vitamin E & C as well as carotene, which is available in vegetables and fruits.
- Additionally, they consume less amount of saturated fats.
Cons of Vegetarian Diet
- The deficiency of vitamin B12 is common amongst vegetarians, as it is mainly available in meat, eggs, and fish. Deficiency of vitamin B12 can yield rare symptoms such as increased fatigue, shortness of breath, and a temporary loss of body balance.
- Lack of protein, as stated above, along with iron and zinc deficiency is also common.
Symptoms of protein deficiency can be troublesome and include signs like
- Sluggish metabolism
- Loss of body muscles (as the body tries to derive the regular protein intake from your muscles, thus making them weak),
- Trouble gaining or losing weight
- Persistent fatigue
- Longer healing time in case of wounds and injuries
- Pain in joints
- Drastic changes in blood sugar level that might result in diabetes
- A weak immune system makes you vulnerable to all kinds of diseases.
Non-vegetarian Diet Benefits: A non-vegetarian diet includes all forms of plant foods as well as foods and by-products that are derived from animals, such as poultry, fish, meat, etc.
Benefits of Nonvegetarian Diet
- Vitamin B12 is present in adequate level since they are derived from sources such as meat, eggs, and fish. Adequate intake of proteins is never an issue for non-vegetarians
Cons of Non-Vegetarian Diet
- Meat products are loaded with saturated fats, which increase the risk of heart diseases. Studies have shown that people consuming non-vegetarian diets:
- Have a shorter lifespan and are more vulnerable to chronic diseases.
- Tend to develop diabetes, heart diseases, and hypertension.
- Usually, non vegetarians eat less amount of vegetables and fruits than what is recommended.
Hope you understand the benefits and side effects of vegetarian and non-vegetarian diet. If you want to know more food item's advantages or wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.
Update From Lybrate: Keep a check on your overall well-being by consuming healthy and delicious products. These Food Products Online not only soothe your taste buds but also keep you healthy.