Vaginal Discharge and Foul Odour - Know the Reason Why?
Vaginal discharge or odor is one of the most common conditions in women, yet the least talked about or taken help for. It is of vital importance that more and more women become aware of the condition and stop neglecting it. It is this neglect towards the condition that leads to some ancillary side effects and the increase in the complexity of the situation. Before things take a turn for the bad, it is imperative that you take help from concerned medical specialists and fight the condition during its initial days itself.
Why consult a specialist?
Treating the condition as soon as you notice it leads you to stem other diseases and infections that may be caused as a side effect. Also, vaginal discharge and foul odor can become not only the cause of discomfort for your day to day life, but also a great hindrance in your private life. Don’t let a curable condition hamper your personal life and most importantly your conjugal life. Visiting a doctor will help you get rid of both the excessive discharge and foul order. All you have to do is shred that mental neglect and confining attitude, step out of the home and make way to the doctor’s clinic.
What causes vaginal discharge?
Some of the most common causes of vaginal discharge include-
- Yeast Infection: Vaginal yeast infection is by far the most common cause of vaginal discharge. This relatively common condition is caused by fungus. This factor is characterised by itchiness, irritation and swelling.
- Urethritis: Another cause influencing excessing vaginal discharge includes Urethritis. This condition is influenced by the inflammation and irritation in the tube carrying urine, also referred to as the urethra.
- Gonorrhea: Gonorrhea is an alarming cause of vaginal discharge. This disease is sexually transmitted and affects warm and wet areas of the body.
Other causes of vaginal discharge include pregnancy, anxiety, cervix inflammation, cervical cancer or history of the same.
Causes of vaginal foul odor:
Some of the most common causes of vaginal odor are-
- Infection: Fungal infection is a major cause of vaginal odor.
- Sweat: Accumulation of sweat in wet and humid areas of the body leads to a certain amount of odor. The same goes for the vagina.
- Hormonal change: Change in hormone and discharges also lead to a foul-smelling vagina.
- Overused tampon: Using a tampon for a longer period than prescribed can also lead to accumulation of periodical blood and bacteria, leading to foul smell from the vagina.
Treating vaginal discharge and foul odor:
In case that vaginal discharge and a foul odor is becoming a major concern in your life and making things uncomfortable for you, it is the time that you make your way to a medical specialist. Other preventive practices often suggested by doctors include- wearing loose clothes, not wearing a tampon for a long time, losing weight, consulting a gynaecologist before starting a specific treatment or medication, etc.