Obesity has put a massive number of people at a higher risk of life-threatening health issues in the recent years. Statistics point out that it has already affected 25% of the Indian population. It is one of the leading causes of illnesses such as stroke, cardiovascular problems, cancer and hypertension.
Causes and symptoms you must watch out for -
The most common causes of obesity are-
- Eating high Glycemic Index (measured above 70) foods like refined grains (white rice, white bread) that cause insulin and blood sugar levels to rise up quickly.
- Leading an inactive, sedentary lifestyle
- Genetic predisposition and hormonal changes over the years. As you age, your body loses muscle mass and the metabolic rate becomes slower. This makes it easier for you to gain weight.
- Other medical conditions such as Hypothyroidism, PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome), Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Excessive sweating
- Tiredness and fatigue
- Pain in the joints
- BMI: People who are obese have a BMI equal to or greater than 30.
- Screening test: If you have been encountering the symptoms mentioned above, consider undergoing screening tests like ultrasound, CT scan and MRI scan.
How can Ayurveda treat Obesity?
In Ayurveda, all health problems are the result of an imbalance of the basic humors in the body - kapha, vata and pitta. One effective Ayurvedic therapy to cure obesity is the Panchakarma vidhi. Panchakarma uses medicated herbs, natural ingredients like rice, sand, medicated powder on your body to soothe your senses and flush out the toxins from your body.
There are 5 different ways to restore your body’s dosha balance-
- Vamana- The process of vomiting out the toxins after medication and therapy.
- Virechana- The process of excreting toxins through bowel movement.
- Nasya- Essential oils and medicinal herbs used to massage the head region. The toxins are then released from your system through formentation.
- Basti- Sesame oil and medicinal herbs used to soften and cut the fat tissues. This increases the heat in the fat tissues and triggers metabolism.
- Raktamoskshana- Purifies the blood stream, thereby filtering out the toxins from your body.
Ayurvedic treatment methods are also accompanied by a balanced lifestyle, healthy diet, exercise and meditation. Those suffering from obesity should go for Panchakarma, as it helps cure the condition from within. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!