The main job of the kidneys is to balance the electrolytes in the blood and maintain the pH homeostasis. The kidneys also remove waste products from the blood and boost your metabolism.
To prevent injuries and diseases in the kidneys, you can undertake the following steps to keep your kidneys healthy:
- Hydrate yourself: You need to drink sufficient water to improve kidney function and the ability of the kidneys to flush out the toxins from the body. Drinking at least 6-8 glasses of water will help in keeping your kidneys fighting fit.
- Eat healthy: The kidneys need to be healthy to perform their regular function. In order to keep them healthy, you need to eat the right kind of foods for sufficient nutrition. Include foods such as watermelons, oranges, parsley in your diet for better kidney function.
- Cut down on your salt intake: Consuming too much salt increases the quantity of sodium in your meals. It increases the sodium content in your blood and increases your blood pressure which might lead to the formation of kidney stones.
- Quit smoking: If you want to take care of your kidneys, you must quit smoking immediately. Smoking harms the blood vessels and hampers the flow of blood to the kidneys. When the flow of blood to the kidneys is obstructed, they cannot function properly. Excessive smoking also increases the chances of high blood pressure and kidney cancer.
- Urinate when you need to: Filtration is the most important kidney function as the wastes and water are eliminated through the bladder. Although your bladder is well-equipped to hold in urine for a long time, you start feeling the urge to urinate once it is filled. If you resist the urge, your bladder starts stretching more than necessary and affects the filtration function of the kidneys.
- Engage in physical exercise: A lot of medical practitioners believe that obesity and kidney issues are very closely linked. Being obese increases the chance of kidney injuries. Thus, engaging in some form of physical exercise is advisable as it keeps your weight under check and releases anti-stress hormones.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!