Hepatitis B and C are both viral infections of the liver caused by Hepatitis B (HBV) and Hepatitis C (HCV) virus respectively. Though the viral infections mostly affect children, adults are equally susceptible, if not more. The condition, if left untreated can have serious consequences on the liver (liver damage, scarring, liver cirrhosis and even cancer).
The symptoms for hepatitis B and C are almost similar and include:
- Abdominal or belly pain.
- Jaundice is one of the common and most important symptoms or medical condition associated with hepatitis B and C. The infection often interferes with the ability of the liver to filter out the bile pigment, bilirubin (the breakdown product of hemoglobin).
- Extreme tiredness and exhaustion.
- Nausea, loss of appetite.
- There may be a fever and vomiting in case of hepatitis B.
In both hepatitis B and C, the infection causing virus can spread through
- Unprotected sex.
- From the affected person (through their blood, body fluids or open sores).
- Use of infected needles and syringes.
- In the case of hepatitis C, the virus can also spread from the pregnant women to her child.
Though conventional medications and treatments are available, many people go for the Ayurvedic treatments instead. Ayurveda adopts a holistic approach in treating the ailment or disease. The treatment is 100% natural and thus, have negligible or no side effects at all. The Ayurvedic treatment may be time-consuming, but it treats the condition from the base (it works towards identifying and eliminating the very underlying factor responsible for the ailment). The approach is similar in the case of hepatitis B and C. In addition to treating hepatitis, the medications also bring about a remarkable improvement in the associated symptoms (like jaundice, fatigue and nausea).
Some of the Ayurvedic medicines used to treat hepatitis B include
- Bhumi Amla (Phyllanthus Niruri): Bhumi Amla can be used to treat Hepatitis B and the associated symptoms successfully. The medicine lowers the bilirubin level in the blood, thus providing relief from jaundice (one of the characteristic symptoms of Hepatitis B and C). It is also an effective medicine to deal with liver failure or liver problems.
- Echinacea (Andrographis): The medicine has anti microbial properties and, thus, checks and prevents the growth of the HBV (Hepatitis B Virus). It also enhances the overall functioning of a person's immune system (immune booster).
- Arjuna (Terminalia Arjuna): People with Hepatitis B can benefit immensely from this medicine. Like Echinacea, Arjuna is also known to be an immune booster.
- Kaasni: The medicine is used to treat hepatitis B and liver problems. Kaasni is also an excellent blood purifier.
The ayurvedic medicine for Hepatitis C include
- Kalmegh (Andrographis Paniculata): The medicine comes as a relief for people with hepatitis C and liver problems. The anti-inflammatory and antipyretic properties of Kalmegh further enhances its effectiveness.
- Guduchi (AMBROSIA), Haritaki (TERMINALIA CHELUBA), CURCUMA LONGA are few other Ayurvedic medicines that are equally effective in treating Hepatitis C. Consult an Expert & get answers to your questions!