Diet Plan Tips After Kidney Stones Surgery - Eating Guidelines
Kidney stones could be a cause for worry by the time they are not removed causing incessant and regular pains and disrupting normal life. The task is not finished even if you get the kidney stone removal surgery because what follows is a rigorous and disciplined routine that you must follow to maintain your health after the surgery is done.
Diet and Food you eat play a crucial role in negating the possibility of yet another stone accumulation. Here are a few diet tips that would be handy if you have got kidney stones removal surgery done. Here we
Food to Eat after Kidney Stone Surgery
- To stay hydrated is the golden rule that you must abide by at all costs. It is advisable to drink at least 2-3 litres of water on a daily basis. Water prevents the formation of stones and would also help to eliminate any remaining residues of kidney stones existing in the system.
- Dairy products could be included but in diluted form.
- A fixed dietary routine is mandatory above all. The patient should be given meals at proper time intervals in small proportions. Heavy meals should be avoided at all costs.
- Foods rich in high fiber should be included in the diet. They help in bowel movement also. These include whole-grain bread and beans.
Do Not Eat Food After Kidney Stone Surgery
1. Foods rich in oxalates and calcium should be kept at bay for at least a period of two months after the stone removal procedure is complete. Oxalates can lead to the formation of yet another stone which is far from desirable. The foods that fall in this category include:
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach, mustard, and beet greens
- Cabbage, cauliflower, tomatoes
- Banana, mango, apricot, grapes
- Nuts like almond and cashew
- Soft drinks
- Caffeinated drinks like tea and coffee
2. Foods rich in sodium should be kept at bay for at least some time immediately after the surgery.
3. Reducing the food intake that is high on animal protein.
4. Do not eat stale food.
5. Junk food should not even cross your mind. It is something that should be avoided for best results.
These are general guidelines that would help you to cope with post-surgery stone removal care. However, there could be specific requirements depending on patient to patient. Therefore, it is advisable to get the guidelines by a doctor who will take into account the specificities of the case.
Diet plan along with exercise is in most cases, the most effective combat to kidney stones. The trick, however, is to not go overboard with either of them.
Update From Lybrate: Stay fit and strong by consuming Health Drinks, available at Lybrate. Being a blend of natural ingredients, these products give a vitalizing boost of freshness.