Orthopaedics is a branch of surgery primarily concerned with bones. It involves treating the musculoskeletal system through both surgical and nonsurgical means. The treatments can heal injuries suffered while playing any sport, degenerative diseases, infections, tumors and congenital disorders.
What leads to joint problems?
Joint pain is mainly caused by injury affecting the ligaments or tendons surrounding the joint. One of the features of joint inflammation is pain, as a result of arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, infection and in an extremely rare, pain could be due to cancer of the joint.
What are the symptoms and signs?
To get the right kind of treatment and be relieved from the pain, it’s important to understand the symptoms. Some of the signs and symptoms associated with joint pain include the following:
- Joint Swelling: This is a very common phenomena, which can result in pain and stiffness. When you have swelling after suffering any injury, that invariably means, there is a tear in the ligament or muscle tendon or you have a broken bone.
- Joint Redness If you are suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, then redness of the joints is a very common feature. Injury to the joint can also lead to the development of redness in the area.
- Stiffness in the joint: Joint stiffness is another symptom, which occurs due to inflammation and swelling in the joint. These are also clear indications for arthritis.
- Locking of the joint: The problem of arthritis invariably leads to locking of the joint. This happens because the cartilage becomes weary and hence the ends of the bones that form a joint become rough.
- Limping: Limping typically refers to any sort of difficulty which people might face while walking. During this situation, a person might prefer using one leg over another and it happens mostly due to any sort of disease or damage to the legs and feet.
How can you stay away from developing joint related problems?
There are certain precautionary measures, which would ultimately allow people to lead a healthy life, devoid of joint pain till at later stages of their lives. Some of the measures are discussed below to present a clear perspective:
- Weight control – Knees represent the largest joint in one’s body, which carry the entire load of the body. Hence, keeping one’s weight under control is the way to go as problems mainly arise due to overweight.
- Exercise with caution – Exercise is an ideal way to keep oneself fit and healthy but too of exercise can have adverse effects on your health, like pushing joints too far or not taking precaution while lifting weights.
- Take care of your diet – Losing weight is important but dieting should not be the way forward. A balanced diet should be maintained to lead a healthy lifestyle.
So, we have looked at what Orthopaedics is all about, what leads to joint problems, talked about the symptoms and finally how could people stay away from these problems. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!