Hepatitis A is an infectious disease caused by the Hepatitis A Virus (HAV), which affects the liver. It leads to inflammation of the liver. Even though it does not cause any severe harm in the initial stages, it can become acute or chronic later if not treated or managed on time. If it becomes chronic, it can lead to cirrhosis of the liver and permanent liver failure too.
Hepatitis A is caused by ingestion of contaminated food or water and it can also result due to anal or oral contact during sex. This infectious disease results in specific signs and symptoms, including fatigue, nausea, vomiting, fever, jaundice, anorexia, and rashes on the body. There are many allopathic medicines to cure Hepatitis A but they can be harsh on the body. If one wants to avoid the possible side effects of these medications, then Ayurvedic remedies offer to be a better choice as they do not have any side effects and also cure the infection completely, giving permanent and full relief.
So, here are some Ayurvedic remedies for Hepatitis A.
- Virechana: A part of the Panchakarma process, it is a detoxification therapy that flushes out the toxins from the body. In Ayurveda, it is believed that any disorder of the liver is caused by pitta imbalance and this imbalance is rectified by a purgation technique. In the first step, the patient is made to vomit and then is kept on a light diet for a few days and watched over. In the last step, the patient is administered virechana drugs such as sweet herbs to cleanse the toxins and purify the blood. After cleansing, the patient is given a warm bath to calm the senses.
- Echinacea: This herb is a natural immunizing agent that helps fight the infection caused by HAV. It is an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory in nature and thus, provides relief to the liver. It also stimulates the secretion of enzymes in the body and improves blood circulation as well. Lastly, it prevents auto-immune diseases.
- Phyllanthus niruri: Also known as Bhumi Amla, it is very effective in fighting infections of the liver and can cure all forms of liver diseases. It possesses analgesic, antibacterial, and anti-spasmodic properties. It cures the liver inflammation and corrects the pitta imbalance.
- Triphala: A mixture of bibhataki, haritaki and amlaki, triphala is a very effective cleansing herb. It carries laxative properties and thus, helps remove toxins from the intestines.
- Katuki: This Ayurvedic herb is very effective in the treatment of different liver diseases and is known as a strong laxative. It helps in the detoxification of the intestines and also kills the intestinal worms.
These Ayurvedic remedies are known to provide lasting relief in Hepatitis A, no matter what the stage of the infection is. The herbal medicines can be consumed in the form of tablets, capsules, mixture (churna), or even taken as a tea. Nevertheless, it is advised to consult an Ayurvedic doctor before resorting to any of these remedies. Proper diagnosis and accurate dosage is a must in the treatment of Hepatitis A. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!