Autoimmune hepatitis is a disease of the liver that attacks a person when their immune system turns against their liver cells. This condition leads to a dysfunctional liver, which may cause disorders related to the organ. It is not known as to what causes this disease but specific genes are believed to be the reason behind autoimmune hepatitis. Autoimmune hepatitis manifests in the form of necrosis (death of living cells of the liver), hepatocellular inflammation, and later on also culminates in cirrhosis (scarring of the liver).
A number of women than men are affected by autoimmune hepatitis. The signs and symptoms of autoimmune hepatitis include weakness, weight loss, fever, belly pain, diarrhea, skin rashes, edema, and yellowing of skin or eyes. There is no permanent cure for autoimmune hepatitis and it can be only managed with medicines. There are allopathic medicines to keep the disease under control but they have been found to have side effects. These side effects are not gentle on the body and if one wants to avoid them then Ayurvedic remedies come forward as the ideal option.
- Swedana: A natural detoxification treatment, swedana refers to sweat generation therapy. In this therapy, the patient is made to sit in a closed steam chamber and is warmed with the help of steam that carries the aroma of several Ayurvedic herbs. These herbs induce sweating in the patient, thereby, removing the toxins sitting inside the body. Later, the patient is given a gentle massage to relax the body.
- Apple cider vinegar: This gives relief in the case of autoimmune hepatitis by reducing the ammonia levels in the blood. High ammonia in blood is believed to cause an imbalance in the body and this imbalance disturbs the immune system, causing it to turn against the body.
- Milk thistle (Silybum marianum): Milk thistle has properties that strengthen the immunity of the body. It also contains a flavonoid called silymarin that protects the liver from toxins. It has antioxidant properties that keep the liver damage in check and the anti-inflammatory agents that bring relief in swelling.
- Giloy: This is a very potent herb that boosts the immune system of the body by increasing the fighting power of a particular type of white blood cells. It also balances the pH level of the body. It is a natural diuretic and thus, increases secretion of urine, helping to flush out the toxins from the body. Being anti-inflammatory and analgesic in nature, giloy controls swelling and also gives relief from pain.
- Haldi (Turmeric): Turmeric is a natural immunity booster that is known to carry a compound called curcumin. This compound is a cleanser and a purifier. It removes the toxins and impurities from the body and the blood. This relaxes the liver and also restores its normal functions.
Autoimmune hepatitis is a disease that can be managed with Ayurvedic remedies but one also needs to make lifestyle changes to keep body’s immunity in good shape. Abstinence from alcohol, smoking, and spicy foods are beneficial and so is regular exercise and plenty of water intake. These steps automatically increase the immunity of the body and thus, keeps the disease in check. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!