Bone issues are very common. From infection to inflammation to injuries to mere old age, bone issues are very common. Arthritis can happen with any of these conditions. The healing of this has two aspects one is to heal and reduce the pain and the second is to address the underlying condition. The range of motion needs to be improved, and further damage to the bones should be arrested.
Ayurveda identifies two types of joint problems, one is due to poorly nourished bones, which are prone to damage and the second is the over accumulation of toxins, leading to joint pain and stiffness. This joint pain would be further aggravated by damp weather.
Ayurveda also believes that the overdose of vaata leads to bone issues. So food items aimed at reducing vaata should be included so that balance is restored. There is more than one component to this healing. Food, lifestyle changes, herbs, and exercise manage bone issues, arthritis and the pain. Let’s see how.
- Food: Eating whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as a calcium rich diet is very essential for healing bones. Eat freshly cooked food items and include a lot of dairy products.
- Lifestyle: A regular sleep schedule, which is in sync with the biological clock, is very essential. Also eat at regular intervals with the meals getting lighter as the day goes by. Exercise, even in the form of brisk walk, helps soothe joints and keeps them agile.
- Massages: Oil massages like Abhyanga are very essential to prevent joint problems. They also help in reducing toxins, which are quite high in chronic conditions like arthritis. These oils can be applied directly on the joints too to improve lubrication, movement and reduce pain.
- Go anti ama: There is another component known as ama, which is an equivalent of toxins. The diet and lifestyle should be aimed at reducing ama, which gets accumulated with age in the form of digestive toxins. Eat food products that are easy to digest, consume ama reducing spices like turmeric and pepper, avoid daytime napping and exercise regularly.
In addition, the following herbs are known to be beneficial for bone health.
- Ashwagandha: It has rich anti-inflammatory properties, produces effects equivalent to steroids and helps in controlling joint pain and inflammation. Swelling and movement are also improved with its regular use.
- Boswellia: Combined with Ashwagandha, this is another wonder drug that helps reduce bone inflammation. It suppresses release of chemicals responsible for inflammation and helps control pain and swelling.
- Turmeric: One of the most acclaimed anti-inflammatory agents, it releases multiple enzymes and thereby controls inflammation.
So, for bone pain and arthritis, an NSAID is not the only remedy. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ayurveda.