If you start sneezing, you know there’s something wrong with your nose. However, if your stomach hurts, there could be a number of factors behind it. The trouble could lie with your stomach, small intestine, large intestine, spleen, liver, etc. The good news is that most of these conditions are fairly easy to resolve. With Ayurveda, you can use things in your kitchen to treat your pain and get immediate relief. Five of the most common abdominal disorders and ways to treat them with Ayurveda are:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: If you find yourself complaining of nausea, stomach aches, chronic diarrhea or constipation and headaches, you could be suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome. According to Ayurveda, this is caused by a buildup of toxins in the body. A simple remedy for this problem is to have a teaspoon of psyllium husk with half a cup of yoghurt after dinner.
- Acid Reflux: Acid reflux or Gastroesophageal reflux disease is said to be caused by a dominance of the pitta dosha. Common symptoms of this condition include pain while swallowing and heart burn. To prevent this condition and treat it, you must limit your consumption of alcohol, caffeinated drinks and processed foods. A teaspoon of equal quantities of powdered rock candy, green cardamom and fennel with a glass of cold milk can be a very effective cure.
- Food Intolerance: In the case of food intolerances, the ama or toxins in the body can accumulate in the digestive system and keep certain types of foods from being broken down. This, in turn, creates a gas inside the intestines and weakens bowel movement. Many of these allergies can be prevented simply by living a healthier lifestyle. Yoga asanas can also be very helpful.
- Constipation: When undigested food accumulates in the digestive system, the vata dosha is impaired. This creates an obstruction and keeps bowel movements from being smooth and regular. To treat this condition, you should eat plenty of fiber rich foods and drink lots of water. Having a tablespoon of castor oil before going to bed can help facilitate bowel movements.
- Stomach Ulcers: Ulcers in the stomach refer to eruptions or lesions on the inner lining of the stomach walls. These are typically caused by stress, an unhealthy diet and a bad lifestyle. In most cases, people with elevated vata doshas suffer the most from stomach ulcers. Ayurvedic home remedies for this condition include licorice tea, probiotics, garlic boiled in milk and water and honey.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert
& get answers to your questions!