Many adults suffer from Periodontal disease, which may result in slight swelling of the gums or something more severe as grave damage to the bone and tissue, which holds on to the teeth. After the onset of Periodontal disease, dental care is essential as it will determine the progress of the condition.
What are some of the causes of Periodontal disease?
- Smoking is one of the main causes of gum diseases. Moreover, it also reduces chances of effective treatment.
- Hormonal changes in women make the gums increasingly sensitive; as a result they become more susceptible to the onset of gingivitis.
- Diabetic patients are more likely to develop infection of the gums.
- The ongoing treatment for serious medical conditions like AIDs and cancer can also cause Periodontal Disease.
- Genetics also plays an essential role in the onset of gums diseases.
What are the symptoms of Periodontal disease?
- Persistent foul breath
- Red inflamed gums
- Tender gums with some amount of bleeding
- A sensation of pain while chewing food
- Loose teeth
- Teeth sensitivity
In case these symptoms are experienced, a dentist should be immediately consulted.
How is Periodontal disease treated?
- The most effective way of treating Periodontal disease, is by controlling the progression of the condition. The type of treatment generally depends on the extent of the disease.
- Generally the doctor begins treatment by cleaning out the plaque, through a process called scaling and root planing. Scaling gets rid of the tartar from the gums and root planing removes rough spots from the root of the tooth, where bacteria generally accumulate and breed. Sometimes, a laser is also used for the same.
- After the cleaning is done, certain medicines are recommended and the doctor recommends strict oral care.
- If the diseases continue to worsen, a surgical treatment may be recommended.
- Some surgical treatments include flap surgery and bone and tissue grafts.
- Scaling should be done every 6months.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!