Hello Dr. my baby is preterm n has low birth weight 2 kg, also he is not feeding timely (2 hrs duration) he sleeps a lot n wake sometimes 3-4 hrs later I'm so worried coz he is not gaining weight now he is 3 weeks old still he has gain 2.18 kg only. Also I had lost 8 kg I want to know should I strt giving him formula milk? N if he is breast feeding how mny times I should feed if m giving formula milk please tell.

Hello Dr. my baby is preterm n has low birth weight 2 kg,...
Baby starts gaining weight at 2 week of life average 25 to 3o gm per day so in a week he has gained just above @ 25 gm per day. Continue exclusive breastfeeding, don't give formula milk. Don't stick to 2 hours time. U may give feed earlier than 2 hrs too on demand. At this age baby sleeps up to 20 hrs in a day. Get your self check for wt loss.
Hi, Thank you for your query. Let me clear a few doubts of yours before I answer your query specifically: 1. Newborn babies need to be fed on demand rather than timely feeding. 2. Newborn babies sleep varies from individual to individual and can be any where from 18 to 20 hours a day. 3. In the first week a baby tends to lose weight and thereafter gain about 15-20 gm. Per day. Hence, your baby seems to be doing quite well and you need not be worried about. This should answer your query that your child does not require top feeding. Wishing you all the best
You have to check the thyroid status of the baby and if you give formula feed, give it only with spoon and not bottle feeding and give it after the breast is given.