Hi. I am smoking from nearly 5 years and I smoke 6 cigarettes a day. Some times I get a cough and a mild chest pain. Is this because of smoking? Do I need to quit smoking? Please advise.

Hi. I am smoking from nearly 5 years and I smoke 6 cigare...
You need to quit smoking whether the cough is related to smoking or not. It is extremely unhealthy and if you wait for some damages before quitting, then you may get into an irreversible stage when it is too late. Please take my advice and stop right away. YOu will never regret it.
Cough and mild chest pain is dueto chronic bronchitis by smoking.
Dear lybrateuser, -Yes, your problem is due to smoking as it is harmful to the body -it is always better to quit as you could have already developed lung or heart problem due to smoking -quitting it will solve your problem & even help reverse the changes which have taken place due to effects of harmful chemicals in smoke -do regular exercises & consume a healthy diet, well balanced diet to keep fit & prevent cough & chest pain -get investigations done, x-ray chest, ecg, echo , blood cbc, sugar, cholesterol done, consult a doctor .
You are still young. Only since 5 years you are smoking. These things makes quitting comparatively easy. Later, it is hard and takes more efforts to quit. If you have any withdrawal symptoms like headache, lack of concentration, increased hunger, irritability or lack of memory, you can try with nicotine gum or lozenges or patch. Please motivate yourself continuously with some gifts for next 12 weeks. That will reduce craving for nicotine. All the best. Cough and chest pain needs investigations to rule out harmful effects of smoking. Even if they are normal at present, quitting smoking keeps it normal for many years.