Dear Doctor, My mother, aged 50 years is experiencing tooth ache sporadically. Up on consultation, we realized that the lower wisdom tooth grew inclined and impacting the adjacent tooth. It even started causing infection a little in the gums surrounding that tooth. Do you recommend tooth extraction surgery? If yes, will there be any complications post surgery?(she is diagnosed with diabetes a few weeks ago) Where to get the surgery done and what prerequisite care need to be taken to ensure no complications afterwards.

Dear Doctor, My mother, aged 50 years is experiencing too...
Weather surgical extraction is required or not depends on several factors including x Ray position of impacted tooth and decay of adjacent tooth Depth of impacted tooth in bone etc.In diabetic patients special precautions have to be taken before and during extractions including check up of blood sugar levels .complications would depend on several causes like position of tooth angulation depth surrounding bone and experience of surgeon etc. Consult your dental surgeon or oral surgeon for further details.
Dear lybrate-user, if the impacted tooth has affected the adjacent teeth and gums, its essential to get rid of it to avoid long term infections to which diabetics are already prone. So go ahead with the treatment. A good oral surgeon would handle the case gently and there won't be any dire complications except for some moderate swelling due to anesthesia and some post-op pain for which you would be prescribed pain killers and antibiotics. Because she is not a diabetic since a very long time so it won't be a problem. Take your medications properly, follow the dentist's instructions and get it extracted.