Consult Online With India's Top Doctors
Common Specialities
Common Issues
Common Treatments

I am 23 female I have braces before now I have a string like brace inside of the teeth. That string got broken when I byte coconut. Its irritating me a lot when i am talking its getting to my tongue and i am getting blood from the tongue. Is there any solution for my problem?

13 Doctors Answered
Ya if your treatment is over around 2 years back than you can go to an orthodontist and tell him/her to remove your inner wire. Or you can tell him/her to reapply it so that it dont hurt.
Its not a problem we can just close the loop of the wire or cut the end and we can apply mucopain ointment to cure the bleeding.
Hello, its called a lingual retainer by what i've gathered by your explanation. It would have to replaced. But, first of all would have to be removed.
The string that you have on the inner surface of your teeth is called as permanant/lingual bonded retainer. If its broken, it needs to be fixed. If not it can cause severe ulceration as well as may lead to movement of your teeth.
The" string" is most probably a retainer placed on the inside to hold the new position of teeth after orthodontic treatment. Consult your orthodontist and he/ she will reattach it or remove it depending on how long it has been in place.
Its better you get it removed. Its called as fixed retainer. Since hw many days your having that if it is less than one year get it replaced back. If more than one year you can get it removed.
It's a fixed retainer. You can get it removed and ask your orthodontist for a removable retainer.
1 person found this helpful
Your dentist has give u a retainer.. The ideal option is to go for a new one or else it will keep probing your tongue
Get your braces corrected by your dentist.
Please get that string repaired frm your dentist.
That string like brace inside the upper anteriors is called permanent retention, which is given to avoid relapse of the treatment you have undergone before. So it is necessary to get it done again. It can be redone with smooth n polishing finish, thus not hurting your tongue during speech.
1 person found this helpful
Pl get it removed if it has been there for over six months if yes ask you r orthodontist to fix another or give a removable but removable would b visible.
Go to your dentist as early as possible and get it corrected, till you get appointment from your orthodontist. Coz it may lead to severe injury to your tongue again making keeping your braces difficult for you, which may delay your treatment.
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.