Get help from best doctors, anonymously
Common Specialities
Common Issues
Common Treatments

I am 25 years old male. I am suffering from exotropia (eye disease). What should I do.

1 Doctor Answered
In some children, where the exotropia is infrequent or “well-controlled,” close observation by an orthoptist or ophthalmologist, without other specific treatment, is warranted. When the exotropia appears more frequently and is “poorly-controlled,” other treatment may be necessary. Although glasses, exercises, or prisms are sometimes prescribed to reduce or help control the outward turning eye in some children, surgery is often needed to properly re-align the eyes while still young enough to allow development of stereopsis (3-dimensional vision) and prevent permanent vision loss from amblyopia. Surgery, if indicated, involves weakening the lateral rectus muscle on one or both eyes or sometimes strengthening the medial rectus instead or both. It is usually performed by your ophthalmologist as an outpatient with minimal pain and a rapid recovery allowing children to return to school or day care in just 2 - 3 days. thanks
1 person found this helpful
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.