Lybrate.com has top trusted Toxicologists from across India. You will find Toxicologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Toxicologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Manoj Kanade
Submit a review for Dr. Manoj KanadeYour feedback matters!
My friend told to me that Garlic soak in hot water in night and next morning drink water pls explain to me for benefit.
How do I get rid of eating large amounts at each meal note that most healthy eaters, but large proportions.
While cooking, one ingredient you cannot be without is oil. This is an essential ingredient in all types of cooking and no matter how little you put, a significant amount will still get into your body. Thus, it is of prime importance that you choose your cooking oil carefully. There are options, which are healthier than others and it is advisable to lean more on these options compared to the normal ones available in the market.
Considerations before choosing healthy cooking oils
It is important to not get into the marketing hype of various brands, which claim to be healthy cooking oils. Basic ingredients, no matter how refined, will still dictate how healthy the oil is. Some facts to consider are:
- You would want oils which are stable at high temperatures and don't oxidize easily. If oils oxidize easily, they form free radicals, which are harmful for your health.
- Unhealthy oils, even at lower temperatures will form polyunsaturated fats and thus, look for oils which have less of it.
Here are some healthy alternatives to the commonly found vegetable oils which are high in polyunsaturated fats.
- Olive oil: One of the staples and heroes of the Mediterranean diet, olive oil has long been the favorite of healthy cooking champions. It is good for the heart as it lowers LDL and encourages the growth of good cholesterol or HDL. It is also very low in polyunsaturated fats. You should try to go for extra virgin olive oil, although other variations are still better than normal vegetable oils.
- Palm oil: Also low in polyunsaturated fats, palm oil is rich in vitamin E and many other nutrients which make it a very healthy alternative to the normal vegetable oils you would usually buy from the market.
- Coconut oil: This variety of oil tends to have the least amount of polyunsaturated fats and is being touted as the healthiest alternative to normal cooking oils. Coconut oil contains a lot of lauric acid which helps to improve cholesterol levels within the body and is also know to have antibacterial properties.
- Avocado oil: Another healthy alternative, it may be a little difficult to find in the shelves as it is still uncommon. Again, this oil is also very low in unsaturated fats and is thus, similar to olive oil. You can use this oil for cooking or serve it cold as garnishing for dishes as well.
Indian market offers variety in oils and one can choose from sesame, ricebran, sunflower, safflower, canola , coconut and pure ghee too. Changing or rotating oils is healthy as it gives the body different essential fatty acids which it needs; for example we need a healthy blend of mono -unsaturates (50%) polyunsaturates ((30%) and saturated fatty acids(20%). However, you should consult your physician as to, which oil will be best for you.
Common cold and cough is one of the most common viral illnesses that have no specific treatment. Allopathic medicines provide palliative cure to just treat the symptoms, there is no definite antiviral for it. There is also popular belief having cold once or twice a year is a good way to cleanse the body.
Here is the homeopathic treatment for it:
- Influenzinum - It is a homeopathic remedy for flu. The medicine, which is diluted and potentized, strengthens the immune system to fight against flu viruses. It does not suppress the symptoms but makes your immune system strong to not allow foreign viruses affect your health.
- Aconitum or aconite - Used in the early stages of a cold that was sudden in onset and severe. There could be associated nasal discharge, fever and chills, chest congestion, itchy throat, and a traumatic experience. The person may also feel thirsty, anxious, and agitated.
- Allium cepa - Severe burning and watery eyes, nasal irritation, copious amounts of discharge, hoarseness, and headache. The runny nose improves in open air, but worsens when being indoors.
- Aconite - This homeopathic medicine is recommended when the most preliminary signs of common cold appear, such as getting thirsty frequently and being overly-anxious.
- Belladonna - Belladonna is for more severe signs of cold, such as high fever and persistence of a throbbing headache.
- Natrum mur - This medicine is effective for a runny nose, with initially clear snot thickening after a period of 24-48 hours.
- Pulsatilla - yellow or greenish mucous, nasal congestion, mouth breathing are some symptoms where this is used. It is very commonly used in newborn babies, if the discharge colour is green or yellow. Associated symptoms include moodiness, easy crying, craving for attention, easily hurt and sensitive. Homeopathy does'cure' the cough and cold in patients, in the true sense of the word. That provides palliative care and holistic treatment of the condition too. Consult an Expert & get answers to your questions!