The pyramid diet was conceptualised in 1992 and it emphasises the best amount of servings to be consumed daily from the basic food groups (dairy, fruits and vegetables, grains, beans and legumes, meat, oils and fats).
The pyramid is divided into four levels. The very first level is comprised of grains, beans and legumes; the level above it is made up of fruits and vegetable; the third level from the top is composed of meat and dairy products and the very last one on top contains fats, sugars and oils.
The diet aims to divide the food groups in the above mentioned fashion to make you understand just how much to consume from each food group. Here is a breakdown of servings from each food group:
- Grains- 5 to 7 servings
- Fruits and vegetables- 2 servings of each
- Milk and dairy- 3 servings of which 1/2 serving should be dairy products
- Oils, sugar and fats- 6 teaspoons for oils and minimal servings for fats and sugars
This seems relatively easy to follow, but most people do not understand portion control. The amount or serving of food is called portion control and it is important if you want your diet to work. Here is a guideline that you can follow:
- When you are consuming one serving of grains in one sitting, you can choose to eat one cup of cereals or one slice of whole-wheat bread.
- When you are eating vegetable or fruits with your breakfast or lunch, choose one and a half cup of chopped vegetables, or one piece of orange, banana or apple.
- If you are drinking milk, then one cup of milk in one serving. And, if you are eating meat, choose one ounce of cooked fish or chicken.
- Lastly, do not go beyond one teaspoon of vegetable oil and try to keep your sugar intake to the minimum throughout the day.
The pyramid is an excellent guide to lose some weight. You just need some concentration and a ton of commitment to stick to the guide. Along with the diet, don't forget to get some exercise.
Actually I am on diet I have craving to eat something sweet after meals what to do I take jaggery whn ever I feel so but it doesn't satisfy my cravings.
Nowadays I am having huge hungry and had huge food before 1 month I had green tea plus honey with Apple cider vinegar, in that time I had my food only 2 times fortunately I got huge difference with my weight. But now I can't Control my hunger I'm also doing gym Before that I drunk regularly but now I stopped When I tried to stop after 2 days I am eating the foods lot. For morning and night 12 idli like that I had and my physical work is only doing gym. So suggest me that controls my hunger. And if that have medicine to control my hunger.
Sir today I noticed that I got pox. What should I do now. Please tell me what to eat, how to cure it and how many days does it take to cure. Thank you sir.
Every morning when I wake up I felt like any one of a nose is blocked a half. It s not specifically left or right. Why is that happening? It's not bothering big but have to be precautioned so.
My daughter has a strong urge to eat chalk, what medicine in homeopathy/allopathy/naturopathy can she be given?
Mere ko sardi huaa h jo bich bich me thik ho jata h par bhir se ho jata h hamesha nak se pani gir ta rhta h.
Tell me about hepatitis b.how to cure it. What's gd hospital in gurgaon to cure it and how much expense for cure it. please tell me.
I am suffering from nozal blockage all the time. I never take any cold items ,weekly once I take head bath and dry soon. I avoid all the way to catch cold .kept myself from dust atmosphere. But still this nozal blockage problem since quit a long time. But this problem vanished when I go to other cold country. Please suggest what should I take precautions. One Ent doctor told there is a surgery need after seeing nose Xray. Another world famous doctor told is common and no surgery need .only nozal drop will keep clear when need.
My father is suffering from hepatitis b.is there any treatment for this problem .he is taking entecavir 0.5 for the past 1 year. Can he take pantoprazole for long period to suppress the gastric problem.
Fibers are the carbohydrates and are the indigestible part of the food.They are actually not digestible, but help a lot in digestion.They are derived from plants and offer a lot of health benefits. They make our body light and fit and is commonly known as roughage.
What are the advantages of having fiber in your diet?
Other health benefits of fiber includes reducing the incidence of heart disease, lowering cholesterol, blood pressure, glucose levels and inflammation and even weight loss. Fiber can help with weight loss because it creates a fullness within your intestine, which aids you in eating less.
Fiber is of two types:
Insoluble fiber: It does not dissolves in water. It is the bulky fiber that helps in preventing constipation and is found in whole grains, wheat cereals and vegetables such as carrots, celery and tomatoes.
Soluble fiber: They dissolves in water and help in controlling the blood sugar level and reduce cholesterol. Good sources include barley, oatmeal, beans, nuts, and fruits, such as apples, berries, citrus fruits, and pears.
What are the health benefits?
- Digestive health: Let’s get this one out of the way first. Dietary fiber normalizes bowel movements by bulking up stools and making them easier to pass.
- Heart disease: Fiber, particularly soluble fiber, is an important element of any heart-healthy diet. Eating a diet high in fiber can improve cholesterol levels by lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- Diabetes: A diet high in fiber particularly insoluble fiber from cereals can lower your risk for type 2 diabetes. If you already have diabetes, eating soluble fiber can slow the absorption of sugar and improve your blood sugar levels.
- Cancer: There is some research that suggests eating a high-fiber diet can help prevent colorectal cancer, although the evidence is not yet conclusive.
- Skin health: When yeast and fungus are excreted through the skin, they can trigger outbreaks of acne.
Is cheese nuts also take part in diet like almonds? If your answer is yes, then how many cashews and almonds should eat per day?
Hello doctors. I am 26 years old male Height 5.9 Weight 68 How much water I can take for good health. Minimum water and maximum water needed for my body? On what basis?
My husband age is 36 height is 6 ft. He is using testosterone cypionate for intense workout in gym. Is it ok for him? Pls guide.
Hello. Main ye puchna chahtaa ho k jo sweet potato hai body ko garam rakhte or yeh healthy hote hai ya nhi.
How yoga could improve my life style in daily routine. & how drinking the mixture of lemon, honey in water can improve my metabolism? Plzzz explain at biochemical level in detail.
Near By Clinics
AyurvedaPimpri, Pune, pune
DermatologistDP Road, Pune, Pune