Telmisartan 40 MG Tablet
Telmisartan 40 MG Tablet belongs to a family of drugs that are used to treat high blood pressure. It is also effective in reducing the risk of serious conditions such a stroke, heart attacks, heart conditions and even death. Telmisartan 40 MG Tablet helps maintain optimal blood pressure levels in a person’s body.
In patients who suffer from hypertension, it can lower the blood pressure. Telmisartan 40 MG Tablet works by widening and dilating the blood vessels, which relaxes them. It also helps the kidney flush out excess salt and water, thus reducing the blood pressure. Therefore, Telmisartan 40 MG Tablet is highly effective in treating hypertension.
Telmisartan 40 MG Tablet is a drug that is also known as an Angiotensin receptor blocker or an ARB. This drug is used to treat hypertension or high blood pressure. It is also given to patients, to reduce their risk of developing conditions such as heart disorders, a stroke and heart attacks.
Telmisartan 40 MG Tablet works, by blocking the effect of Angiotensin. It prevents the activation of a receptor, by the Angiotensin II hormone that would usually result in a slight increase of the blood pressure, when it is low. It lowers blood pressure by dilating and relaxing the muscles of the blood vessels. This enables your kidney to eliminate the excess of water and salt.
The regular recommended dosage of Telmisartan 40 MG Tablet is a 40 mg tablet, taken once a day. The doctor might increase the dosage to 80 mg, if you suffer from serious conditions of the heart. It is important to continue taking this medication according to the doctor’s prescription, until you have completed the course. You should not skip out on a dose, and if you do forget, do not take an extra dose to make up for it.
Pregnant women or women who are trying to get pregnant should avoid consuming this drug, since it can cause harm the baby's development. It might not be suitable for everyone, since consuming this drug can lead to complications for patients affected by disorders such as liver disease, kidney failure, heart disease, diabetes and allergies. If you suffer from these conditions, you should inform your doctor, before taking this medicine.
This medication helps in treating the following problems in the human body:
How long is the duration of effect?This medication is excreted largely in feces and the effect lasts for a duration of 24 hours approximately.
What is the onset of action?The peak effect of this medicine can be observed within 1 to 2 hours of adminstration.
Are there any pregnancy warnings?This medication is not recommended for pregnant women.
Is it habit forming?No habit forming tendency has been reported.
Are there any breast-feeding warnings?This medicine is not recommended for breastfeeding women.
Is It safe with alcohol?This medicine is found to be unsafe if consumed with alcohol. Hence avoid consumption of alcohol if taking this medication.
Is it safe to drive while on this medicine?This medicine affects the alertness of the patient. Hence avoid driving after consuming this medicine.
Does this affect kidney function?Caution must be taken in patients with kidney disease. Adjustment of dose might be needed. Kindly consult your doctor before taking this medication.
Does this affect liver function?Caution must be taken in patients with liver disease. Adjustment of dose might be needed. Kindly consult your doctor before taking this medication.
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength and form as Telmisartan 40 MG Tablet , and hence can be used as its substitute.
Are there any missed dose instructions?The missed dose should be taken as soon possible. It is advisable to skip the missed dose if it's already time for your next scheduled dose.
Are there any overdose instructions?Seek emergency medical treatment or contact the doctor in case of overdose.
This medication displaces angiotensin II with very high affinity from its binding site at the AT1 receptor subtype, which is responsible for the known actions of angiotensin II.
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you"re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Alcohol
Interaction with Medicine
- Aliskiren: Use of these medicines is not recommended especially in the elderly population with diabetes and kidney disease with CrCl less than 60 ml/min. You experience weakness, confusion, and irregular heartbeat if these medicines are taken together. Regular monitoring of blood pressure and kidney function tests are to be performed. An alternate medicine should be considered under the doctor's supervision.
- Captopril: Use of these medicines is not recommended as it may increase the risk of kidney impairment and low blood pressure. You may experience weakness, confusion, and irregular heartbeat if these medicines are taken together. Regular monitoring of blood pressure and kidney function tests are to be performed. An alternate medicine should be considered under the doctor's supervision.
- Dexamethasone: The desired effect of Telmisartan 40 MG Tablet will not obtain if these medicines are taken together. This interaction is more likely to happen if dexamethasone is taken for more than 1 week. Inform the doctor if you have a sudden weight gain, swelling of hands and feet. If coadministration is needed then appropriate dose adjustments are to be made under the doctor's supervision. Regular monitoring of blood pressure and kidney function tests are to be performed.
- Diclofenac: The desired effect of Telmisartan 40 MG Tablet will not obtain if these medicines are taken together. The risk of kidney impairment will increase if these medicines are taken together especially in the elderly population or having pre-existing kidney disease. Inform the doctor if you have an increased or decreased urination and unexplained weight gain or weight loss. Regular monitoring of blood pressure and kidney function tests are to be performed.
- Insulin: The effect of insulin will increase if these medicines are taken together. You may experience dizziness, headache, sweating if these medicines are taken together. Regular monitoring of blood glucose levels is needed. Suitable dose adjustments or an alternate medicine should be made under the doctor's supervision.
Interaction with Food
Interaction with Disease
Congestive Heart FailureTelmisartan 40 MG Tablet is used with caution in patients with congestive heart failure (especially in volume or sodium depletion). Transient hypotension is also not a contraindication for this medicine. It is usually reinstated when blood pressure reaches the normal value.
Ques: What is Telmisartan 40 MG Tablet?
Ques: What are the uses of Telmisartan 40 MG Tablet?
Ques: What are the Side Effects of this medication?
Ques: What are the instructions for storage and disposal Telmisartan 40 MG Tablet?
Lybrate is a medium to provide our audience with the common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. Even if there is no mention of a warning for any drug or combination, it never means that we are claiming that the drug or combination is safe for consumption without any proper consultation with an expert.
Lybrate does not take responsibility for any aspect of medicines or treatments. If you have any doubts about your medication, we strongly recommend you to see a doctor immediately.