Quital 100 MG Tablet
Quital 100 MG Tablet is an atypical antipsychotic drug that is used for treating certain mental conditions like schizophrenia and mania or depression that is related to bipolar disorder. The drug restores the balance of neurotransmitters in the brain. It improves your mood, appetite, concentration, sleep as well as your energy levels.
Hallucinations and sudden mood swings can also be decreased with the help of this medication. There are two versions of Quital 100 MG Tablet, one is the immediate-release version, where it gets released in the blood stream immediately and the other is the extended-release version, where it releases gradually into the blood.
Belonging to the drug group atypical antipsychotics, Quital 100 MG Tablet is used for treating symptoms related to bipolar disorder, schizophrenia or depression. This medication works by restoring the neurotransmitters’ balance in the brain. It helps to decrease hallucinations in patients who are suffering from these psychotic disorders, and also improves concentration. The medicine is also effective in preventing drastic mood swings.
Quital 100 MG Tablet is available in tablet form and has to be taken orally. It comes in two versions, one that releases into your blood stream immediately (immediate release) and the other that gets released gradually over time in the blood stream (extended release).
Before you are prescribed Quital 100 MG Tablet, your doctor should be informed about your past health conditions. If you have had problems related to eye cataracts, thyroid problems, low count of white blood cells, sleep apnea, enlarged prostate, diabetes, cholesterol and high blood pressure, ensure that your doctor is informed about it. The dosage depends on your age, your present medical condition and it's severity, and how your body reacts after the first dose.
The possible side effects of Quital 100 MG Tablet are drowsiness, constipation, tiredness, blurred vision, increase in weight and dry mouth. In the initial days after you start taking the medicine, you may also feel light-headed or dizzy. These symptoms are generally mild in nature and disappear in a few days, but you can seek medical advice if it is bothersome.
Quital 100 MG Tablet may have some serious side effects too, for which you must stop taking the medication at once and consult your doctor immediately. They are:
- Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome, the symptoms of which are excessive sweating, high fever, severe confusion, dark urine, stiffness of the muscles and change in blood pressure, heart beat or breathing
- Tardive dyskinesia; where you can develop uncontrolled or unusual movements, especially of your lips, mouth, face, tongue, arms and legs
- Tremors or seizures
- Mood changes, feeling depressed, anxious or having suicidal tendencies
- Trouble urinating
- Yellowing of the eyes or the skin
- Milky discharge from breast in women, breast enlargement in both women and men
- Low white blood cell count
- An allergic reaction
As Quital 100 MG Tablet can cause dizziness and drowsiness, it is advised to avoid alcohol while you are taking this medicine, as it can worsen your condition. Ensure that you rise slowly if you are sitting or lying down to prevent falling down. Also, stay away from activities that may require your full concentration in the first few days of taking the medication.
How long is the duration of effect?The effect of this medicine lasts for a duration of 9 hours in extensive metabolizers and 1 to 2 days in poor metabolizers.
What is the onset of action?The peak effect of this medicine is observed within 1 hour of oral administration.
Are there any pregnancy warnings?This medicine is not recommended for pregnant women. Use only if clearly needed when no safer alternative is available.
Is it habit forming?No habit forming tendency has been reported
Are there any breast-feeding warnings?This medicine is known to be excreted through human breast milk. It is not recommended for breastfeeding women. Use only if clearly needed when no safer alternative is available.
Is It safe with alcohol?It is unsafe to consume alcohol along with Quital 100 MG Tablet.
Is it safe to drive while on this medicine?This medicine might affect the alertness of the patient. Thus driving must be avoided while taking this medicine.
Does this affect kidney function?This medicine is probably safe to be used in patients with kidney disease. Adjustment of dose might not be needed. Kindly consult your doctor before taking it.
Does this affect liver function?Caution must be taken while using this medicine in patients with kidney disease. Adjustment of dose might be needed. Kindly consult your doctor before taking it.
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength and form as Quital 100 MG Tablet , and hence can be used as its substitute.
Are there any missed dose instructions?Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it's almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose. Do not double your dose to make up for the missed dose.
Are there any overdose instructions?Seek emergency medical treatment or contact the doctor in case of an overdose.
This medication belongs to the class atypical antipsychotics. It works by binding to the D2 and serotonin (5HT2) receptors and inhibits the release of chemical substances thus helps in reducing the symptoms.
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you"re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Alcohol
AlcoholConsumption of alcohol with this medicine is not recommended as it can result in dizziness and difficulty in concentration. Avoid activities that need mental alertness like driving and operating machinery.
Interaction with Lab Test
LabInformation not available.
Interaction with Medicine
- May enhance effects of antihypertensive agents; may antagonize levodopa, dopamine agonists.
- Increased clearance when given with phenytoin (5-fold) or thioridazine (65%), caution with other liver enzyme inducers (carbamazepine, barbiturates, rifampin, glucocorticoids).
- Although data is not yet available, caution is advised with inhibitors of CYP3A4 (eg, ketoconazole, erythromycin).
- Cimetidine in combination with quetiapine decreased quetiapine's clearance by 20%.
- Lorazepam's clearance is reduced 20% in the presence of quetiapine.
Interaction with Food
FoodInformation not available.
Interaction with Disease
- Has been noted to cause cataracts in animals, although QTP-associated cataracts have not been observed in humans; lens examination on initiation of therapy and every 6 months is recommended.
- May be sedating, use with caution in disorders where CNS depression is a feature.
- Use with caution in Parkinson's disease.
- Caution in patients with hemodynamic instability; prior myocardial infarction or ischemic heart disease; hypercholesterolemia; thyroid disease; predisposition to seizures; subcortical brain damage; hepatic impairment; severe cardiac, renal, or respiratory disease.
- May alter temperature regulation or mask toxicity of other drugs due to antiemetic effects.
- May alter cardiac conduction - life-threatening arrhythmias have occurred with therapeutic doses of antipsychotics.
- May cause orthostatic hypotension - use with caution in patients at risk of this effect or those who would tolerate transient hypotensive episodes (cerebrovascular disease, cardiovascular disease, or other medications which may predispose).
- Esophageal dysmotility and aspiration have been associated with antipsychotic use - use with caution in patients at risk of pneumonia (ie, Alzheimer's disease).
Ques: What is Quital 100 MG Tablet?
Ques: What are the uses of Quital 100 MG Tablet?
Ques: What are the Side Effects of Quital 100 MG Tablet?
Ques: What are the instructions for storage and disposal Quital 100 MG Tablet?
Ques: Is Quital 100 MG Tablet safe for usage in paediatrics?
Ques: Does Quital 100 MG Tablet induce suicidal tendencies?
Ques: Is it safe to discontinue Quital 100 MG Tablet abruptly?
Ques: What are the dietary restrictions while taking Quital 100 MG Tablet?
Ques: Does Quital 100 MG Tablet affect the blood cell count?
Quetiapine-Drug Information Portal [Internet].druginfo.nlm.nih.gov 2022 [Cited 25 May 2022].Available from:https://druginfo.nlm.nih.gov/drugportal/name/quetiapine
Quetiapine-DrugBank Online [Internet].go.drugbank.com 2022 [Cited 25 May 2022].Available from:https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB01224
QUETIAPINE Tablet,solution-DailyMed [Internet].dailymed.nlm.nih.gov 2022 [Cited 25 May 2022].Available from:https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/search.cfm?labeltype=all&query=QUETIAPINE
Lybrate is a medium to provide our audience with the common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. Even if there is no mention of a warning for any drug or combination, it never means that we are claiming that the drug or combination is safe for consumption without any proper consultation with an expert.
Lybrate does not take responsibility for any aspect of medicines or treatments. If you have any doubts about your medication, we strongly recommend you to see a doctor immediately.