Dexace 5Mg Tablet
Dexace 5Mg Tablet is an Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor. Dexace 5Mg Tablet is used for the treatment of hypertension or high blood pressure. It is also given to patients who have suffered from heart attacks previously, to improve their condition.
It works by preventing the blood vessels from tightening. It relaxes the blood vessels. This lowers blood pressure and increases the oxygen and blood supply to the heart. It also prevents the narrowing of arteries and thus reduces the stress on heart muscles.
After a heart attack, the muscles might weaken. It makes the pumping of blood difficult for the heart. Dexace 5Mg Tablet ensures less train on heart muscles by normalizing blood pressure. The regular dose of Dexace 5Mg Tablet for a patient suffering from hypertension is 2.5 to 20 mg.
For a patient who has suffered from congestive heart attack, the dose amount is a 5mg tablet to be taken twice a day orally. It is important to follow the doctor’s prescription and continue the intake until he/she recommends not to. If you miss a dose, never try to compensate by overdosing as it is very dangerous.
While taking Dexace 5Mg Tablet, avoid alcohol as it might have an adverse effect on your blood pressure. To ensure that the intake of Dexace 5Mg Tablet is safe, if you have any kidney disease, liver disease,allergies or diabetes, mention it to your doctor.
Also it is dangerous for pregnant women to take this medication. So a pregnant women or someone who is trying to get pregnant should avoid Dexace 5Mg Tablet. It has a harmful effect on the development of the baby. Also, avoid breast feeding while using it.
If while using Dexace 5Mg Tablet, you suffer from vomiting or diarrhea, you should immediately consult a doctor. Some common side effects of Dexace 5Mg Tablet are dizziness, nausea, sweating or weariness . Some other side effects such as chest pain, jaw pain ,cloudy urine, cold sweat and shortness of breath.
Some of these side effects normally don’t require medical attention, but you can consult with your to doctor on how to reduce them. Dexace 5Mg Tablet should be stored at a cold temperature and should be kept out of the reach of children.
Take exactly as directed; do not discontinue without consulting prescriber. Take first dose at bedtime. This drug does not eliminate need for diet or exercise regimen as recommended by prescriber.
Do not take potassium supplements or salt substitutes containing potassium without consulting prescriber. May cause dizziness, fainting, lightheadedness (use caution when driving or engaging in tasks requiring alertness until response to drug is known).
Mild hypotension has been the only toxic effect seen with acute overdose. Bradycardia may also occur; mild hyperkalemia may occur even with therapeutic doses, especially in patients with renal insufficiency and those taking NSAIDs.
Following the initiation of essential overdose management, toxic symptom treatment and supportive treatment should be initiated. Hypotension usually responds to I.V. fluids or Trendelenburg positioning.
The most common use of this medication is:
Cardiovascular Risk Reduction
How long is the duration of effect?This medicine is excreted in urine and faeces. The effect of this medicine lasts for a duration of 24 hours approximately.
What is the onset of action?The peak effect of this medicine can be observed within 1 to 2 hours.
Are there any pregnancy warnings?This medicine is not recommended for pregnant women.
Is it habit forming?No habit forming tendency has been reported.
Are there any breast-feeding warnings?This medicine is not recommended for breastfeeding women.
Is It safe with alcohol?Alcohol consumption must be avoided while taking this medicine.
Is it safe to drive while on this medicine?This medicine might affect the consciousness of the patient taking this medicine. Driving must be avoided while taking this medicine.
Does this affect kidney function?Caution must be taken while taking this medicine in patients with kidney disease. Adjustment of dose might be needed. Kindly consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
Does this affect liver function?Caution must be taken while taking this medicine in patients with liver disease. Adjustment of dose might be needed. Kindly consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength and form as Dexace 5Mg Tablet , and hence can be used as its substitute.
Are there any missed dose instructions?The missed dose should be taken as soon possible. It is advisable to skip the missed dose if it's already time for your next scheduled dose.
Are there any overdose instructions?Seek emergency medical treatment or contact the doctor in case of overdose.
This medicine works by inhibiting an enzyme called angiotensin-converting enzyme which results in decreased plasma angiotensin II and decreased aldosterone secretion. Thus prevents the blood vessel constriction, water reabsorption and helps in lowering the blood pressure.
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you"re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Alcohol
AlcoholYou should avoid the consumption of alcohol while taking this medicine as it may cause dizziness, headache, and changes in heart rate. Avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if you have these symptoms.
Interaction with Lab Test
Interaction with Medicine
- Alpha1 blockers: Hypotensive effect increased.
- Aspirin and NSAIDs may decrease ACE inhibitor efficacy and/or increase risk of adverse renal effects.
- Diuretics: Hypovolemia due to diuretics may precipitate acute hypotensive events or acute renal failure.
- Insulin: Risk of hypoglycemia may be increased.
- Lithium: Risk of lithium toxicity may be increased; monitor lithium levels, especially the first 4 weeks of therapy.
- Mercaptopurine: Risk of neutropenia may be increased.
- Potassium-sparing diuretics (amiloride, spironolactone, triamterene): Increased risk of hyperkalemia.
- Potassium supplements may increase the risk of hyperkalemia.
- Trimethoprim (high dose) may increase the risk of hyperkalemia.
Interaction with Food
FoodInformation not available.
Interaction with Disease
- Angioedema can occur at any time during treatment (especially following first dose). Careful blood pressure monitoring with first dose (hypotension can occur especially in volume depleted patients).
- Dosage adjustment needed in renal impairment. Use with caution in hypovolemia; collagen vascular diseases; valvular stenosis (particularly aortic stenosis); hyperkalemia; or before, during, or immediately after anesthesia.
- Avoid rapid dosage escalation, which may lead to renal insufficiency.
- Neutropenia/agranulocytosis with myeloid hyperplasia can rarely occur.
- If patient has renal impairment then a baseline WBC with differential and serum creatinine should be evaluated and monitored closely during the first 3 months of therapy.
- Hypersensitivity reactions may be seen during hemodialysis with high-flux dialysis membranes (eg, AN69).
- Use with caution in unilateral renal artery stenosis and pre-existing renal insufficiency.
Ques: What is Dexace 5Mg Tablet used for?
Ques: Should Dexace 5Mg Tablet be taken with a meal or without a meal?
Ques: Is Dexace 5Mg Tablet safe for usage in paediatrics?
Ques: Does Dexace 5Mg Tablet cause cough?
Ques: What is the half-life of Dexace 5Mg Tablet?
Ques: How is Dexace 5Mg Tablet administered?
Ques: What are the storage indications of Dexace 5Mg Tablet?
Lybrate is a medium to provide our audience with the common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. Even if there is no mention of a warning for any drug or combination, it never means that we are claiming that the drug or combination is safe for consumption without any proper consultation with an expert.
Lybrate does not take responsibility for any aspect of medicines or treatments. If you have any doubts about your medication, we strongly recommend you to see a doctor immediately.